Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest CilfrewBoyo

Need Help Modelling/sculpting On C4D R13

@CilfrewBoyo - Sounds like you had the Symmetry object selected when you hit Make Editable. This creates one object from your Symmetry and deletes it. Also agree that if you're a beginner, that's a challenging model to start with, however, there's no reason you couldn't follow it in your version.

Don't forget about the great tutorials that MAXON includes with the package as well. Not sure if it's a separate download from MAXON, but if you bring up Help and go to most basic root level "Manual" you'll see extensive tutorials on all the major areas of the program. Good luck.

Guest CilfrewBoyo
  • Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

Hi again, I'm now on part 2 of the XBox Pad tutorial and have hit another barrier. At around 12 to 13 mins in he begins to model the small buttons on the edge of the pad. To do this he firstly goes into Polygon mode and selects a couple of polygons. However, in my version the polygons are much too big when selected and I don't know how to make the selections smaller. There are smaller squares inside the selections but I can't select them. Is there any way I can select smaller areas within the object? Thanks.

IF I understand what you're saying here....

If you are using the Live Selection tool for your polys, you can change the radius of the tool to avoid selecting too many. You can also zoom it real close. On the other hand, you can use the Move Tool in polygon mode and it will only select one at a time.

Since I can't see your screen, make sure you're NOT working with HyperNURBS turned on. It will be difficult to see what you are trying to select and can get confusing.

Guest CilfrewBoyo
  • Topic Author

I'm not sure if I'm right but it appears as though the tutor has used a different object in the 2nd part of the tutorial with more segments. In the 1st part we are instructed to give our cube 3 segments on all axis, but in the 2nd part it looks as though the object, now in the shape of an XBox pad, has more segments. I've included a link to the 2nd part of the tutorial and I've also left a comment on the video which includes the time at which he is selecting the polygons (12:50), so if you click on it the video will start at that time. If I need more segments will I have to start again from the beginning or can I add more segments?

Admin

To be honest,this model of controller is so poorly done,that this video needs to be flag out,if you ask me. Just bad,bad,bad and dont show anything good for you to benefit from it!

Ill show you my wireframe from one model I made(ONLIVE controller) long time ago,when I look it now I see its far from perfect,but its a 100000000000 time better then this one you showed on this video. You also can look my PSP in gallery and you will see wireframe and how its suppose to look.

When comes to modeling,you just need to know your tools and you need to know how thing works. Nobody here can tell you how to model it, if you don't know all the tools and some modeling techniques.

So,try something easier for practice and then, when you know your tools,go for it,otherwise, you'll get frustrated and you maybe come to point when you just want to quit.

Nobody wants that! :)

Cheers

Guest CilfrewBoyo
  • Topic Author

Very good, but actually I really like the look of the finished object in the tutorial. As I said, I've already modelled the general shape of the main body, but it appears as though the object has more segments in the 2nd part of the tutorial than it did in the 1st part. It seems the 2 parts of the tutorial were made at a different time and he may have used a different object for the 2nd part. So my question was: can I add more segments to the object or will I have to start again? Thanks :-)

If by segments you are referring to polygons I believe the command you might be looking for is "Subdivide" to add more polygons to your model. I am fairly new to CD4, however one thing I have learnt is to model with as few polygons as you need. Just because the video shows more polygons does not necessarily mean you should increase the number of your polygons. More polygons is not better: fewer polygons is better.

I will point out that some very skilled members of the forum have contributed to this thread and have suggested that you might want to work on basic modelling skills first. It is advice you might want to listen to.

Guest CilfrewBoyo
  • Topic Author

They're called segments too (ie. you can increase the segments of a cube before you edit it), and the reason I need more of them is because I'm following a tutorial that requires a smaller portion of the object to be selected, as I explained in an earlier comment.

Thanks for your advice. If you had read my first entry you will see that I was indeed asking where I could find some tutorials on modelling. You might want to read before you comment ;-)

You do realise that the end result isnt going to be like the one he showed you initially in the first

video dont ya? Its probably for the best cause, as mentioned above, that would have been too

complicated for you at this stage.

I know you may like the look of this one better, but it will be doing more damage than good if he

is teaching you to model poorly.

lol now to answer your question :wackywink:

.....Yes you need to subdivide your mesh if youre polys are bigger than his otherwise your buttons

will be too big. Another option if you dont wish to subdivide the whole mesh would be to add cuts

with the knife tool.

I havent watched them properly, but it looks to me like he has subdivided once with hyperNURBS

- there is 2 ways to do this a) lower the subdivision on your HyperNURBS to 1 on both editor and

renderer and right click and select 'current state to object'. You will still have the original but you

will have a new subdivided object, or b) you can do it via the functions>subdivide make sure

subdivision is set to 1 and check 'HyperNURBS subdivide'. Its probably better for you to keep a

copy before making any changes. So either do it the first way I mentioned, or copy your cube

before you do the second.

Guest CilfrewBoyo
  • Topic Author

Yeah I noticed (not straight away) that he had left out some of the more interesting details of the object. I think I've learned a little bit about modelling from the tutorial but obviously need to learn more, which is why I asked my first question. I've been searching for tutorials for a while now. It would obviously make more sense for me to follow tutorials that were made specifically for the R13 version because that's the version I'm using, which has a different layout to the earlier versions. Yeah yeah, the tools are the same, but it still makes more sense to follow tutorials for the version I use because there are certain things that are done differently and as a beginner I am left needing to ask questions. I could start from the very beginning but still need to ask questions because the layouts are different. Oh, whilst I remember, to reply to your earlier comment, the object did actually look symmetrical when I dropped it into the hyperNURBS. If you have R13 try it yourself to see. So there's one important difference between two different versions right there, though in this case if I'd just followed everything he said it would've worked fine, but it doesn't always work that way.

What I think I'll do is just follow this XBox Pad tutorial to the end - I mean I might as well since I've already got the main shape done. I've actually already re-modelled the main body with extra segments too, but after doing that I realized I could've just made the rear buttons with a separate object altogether. Never mind though, I definitely learned something from the exercise. The advice you gave about subdividing the mesh is greatly appreciated and I will definitely need to use the methods you listed in the future, so thank you very much for taking the time to explain it all. Still need to find some good tutorials though, and after this exercise I think I am more able to follow tutorials for different versions, so perhaps it was helpful after all! :-)