Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest CilfrewBoyo

Need Help Modelling/sculpting On C4D R13

Guest CilfrewBoyo
  • Topic Author
  • Nope I think I fully understand what they mean by the basics. I would still prefer tutorials intended for the version I use instead of for other versions as it makes sense, though I'll get by with the other tutorials if I have to. I haven't done too bad up to now considering I hadn't even designed a single graphic in any application whatsoever on a PC until January this year, but I suppose my background in Z80a machine code programming gave me a head start in learning things like this. Cheers dude :-)

Guest dataflow
  • Topic Author
  • your saying you cant follow the tut you find because there for older version.

my point was thats why people are saying learn the basics i.e the tool etc...

so then you dont need to know the old layout because youll know where to look for the tools in the new layout.

there are tut in the help file for the new layout so if you go through and learn where the tools are in the new layout you can find them when you follow old tut.

Guest CilfrewBoyo
  • Topic Author
  • Well actually my first question was asking where I could find tutorials for R13 because I was having trouble following tutorials, hence the tutorials I'm trying to find will teach me the basics!

Guest dataflow
  • Topic Author
  • actually you asked for tut on how to model/sculpt in r13.

most if not all tut that show you how to model something dont teach you the basics because that is something they feel you should have learnt first.

which you can learn from the help menu and the manual you get in your r13 box.

and i know what your saying is there arent a lot of r13 tut but the people that would make them have already made the same tut for older version which would be a lot of work to make again.

Guest CilfrewBoyo
  • Topic Author
  • What basics are you talking about? I thought when you said basics you meant the basics of modelling? I've already learnt some of the basics of C4D like navigating the viewport, producing text, materials, lighting, animating keyframes etc. (see video link to one of my animations above) and now I want to move onto modelling as I assume this is the next level. I've been looking for tutorials on basic modelling and I've already gone through a few. Tutorials on basic modelling should show you the basics of what are needed to model, which they do, but some are confusing because they are not made for version R13. Since starting with the basic modelling tutorials I have learnt about the different modes of editing, like point, edge and polygon etc., and I'm starting to scratch the surface of modelling but I have a long way to go, which is why I'm looking for tutorials. There are either tutorials for R13 or there aren't. I wanted to know if there were any available. If you know of any let me know. Cheers :-)

Guest dataflow
  • Topic Author
  • once you know the tools there are no tut you need.

just need to practice.

get an image/ref of something you want to model (start with a cup first) then try to model it.

if you get it wrong then delete you scene and start again

this was the first thing i finished after learning the tools in c4d (not learning how to model)

post-21531-0-30757400-1346251262_thumb.j

Guest CilfrewBoyo
  • Topic Author
  • Very good work, very impressive. I modelled a bottle the other day, but I think I still need tutorials as I'm sure there are many, many functions available on C4D that I do not know how to use properly yet. I'll also practice along the way. R13 tutorials I'm after by the way! Once I feel confident to leave the tutorials behind I will do so. Only I can know when that time is, but I do now feel more confident as a result of the XBox Pad tutorial and I think I could start to model some of my own shapes very soon.

Guest dataflow
  • Topic Author
  • that was my first finished model so it wasnt the first thing i tried to model :)

Guest CilfrewBoyo
  • Topic Author
  • Your point being?

Guest dataflow
  • Topic Author
  • just said that so you know i didnt get that result on my first try

I've already learnt some of the basics of C4D like navigating the viewport, producing text, materials, lighting, animating keyframes etc. (see video link to one of my animations above) and now I want to move onto modelling as I assume this is the next level. I've been looking for tutorials on basic modelling and I've already gone through a few. Tutorials on basic modelling should show you the basics of what are needed to model, which they do, but some are confusing because they are not made for version R13.

I really do not understand you. I started with R13 and I followed right the way through both the excellent tutorials on this site, as well as the series on Bodypaint. I also followed the VertxPusher tutorials. I had no problem even though I was running R13 and they were not. I really do not see your problem.

Yes there are changes in the location of commands. To compensate for that I used the command search tool, to search for that tool and bring it onto my desktop. That was one of the excellent suggestions from VertexPusher. And having done that i saved my startup desktop.I believe the modeling menu is not available in R13 but I had access to an old earlier version and copied and pasted that menu command. There is a way to get it in R13, and maybe others can tell you. What I ended up doing was bringing the individual modeling icons onto my desktop. Of course you need a wide monitor to do that sort of thing.

However, your basic point that having invested in R13 you cannot follow modeling tutorials in earlier versions I simply do not understand. Because I also bought R13, I followed tutorials that used earlier versions, and I had no difficulty in both following the techniques demonstrated and finding the tools referred to by the tutor.

My problem was not the difference in layout, but acquiring the skill to be able to duplicate what the tutorial was showing me.

Well, after learning the "basics" (where the tools are and what they do), I followed a couple of tutorials to learn how to use them propery.

As at the time there were not so many C4D tutorials as there are now, I followed some Lightwave and MAX tutorials. You can take a look at my gallery and check the Mig3 (that was a lightwave tuto) and Joan of Arc (MAX tutorial).

I learnt a bunch, and I still do whenever I see a new technique, but I did not need it to be specifically C4D.

I mean,you need to learn why and how to do something. Knowing the tools will help you to know with what can you do what you want, independently of the tool name or its position on the GUI. For that, software versions or applications don't matter, but the quality of the person explaining what he is doing and why is key.