Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

koboldstudio

Bouncing Dynamic Text – Options Available To Me

• Topic Author
  • Hello!

I am looking for a little guidance here, as to what what might be the best direction to take something. I have a logo, that needs to fall from the sky and bounce (collide) off one object and land into place (with some spins and twists in there). The logo is set in place and the spacing must be exact as the scene resolves. What this means is that I effectively have to reverse keyframe this scene. I'm wondering what the best technique would be to allow for some soft body deformation to the type as it hits the collision object, but still allows me to have plenty of control of the paths (like if I were to constrain it to a spline). Does the problem at hand make sense?

As I understand it, the dynamics system will not allow me to animate an object on a spline and still behave like a soft, squishy body. What I mean is, I cannot draw my paths as a spline and have the soft body tag deform the text as it hits a collider object and then return to normal as it lands properly in place. So maybe dynamics isn't the way to go?

If I use a collision deformer, I find the text behaves very stiffly and isn't as "squishy" as I'd like it to be. Perhaps I should be using the collision deformer with other deformers (jiggle, melt, bulge, squash and stretch) and just keyframe it the old fashioned way?

Possibly I could use cloth?

Any thoughts on this one would be nice.

Cheers,

Mike

One way is to animate each letter along a spline using the Spline Wrap. You can twist and turn along the way. Then add a Delay Effector set to Spring as a deformer to add the squishiness.

In fact with Dynamics you can animate your objects and also have some dynamics. There are some "Follow animation" settings as shown in the image below that determine how closely the animated object follows its keyframed animation. Play around with this as you can get a nice mixture of both.

Hope this helps.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • Gentlemen, thank you both for your replies. I'll investigate!

@3Dkiwi - that would make a great tutorial. There's not much out there for this kind of stuff.

@3Dkiwi - that would make a great tutorial. There's not much out there for this kind of stuff.

Maybe after the Cafe's epic R14 review :)

3DKiwi