Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest mlasnon

Sphere Texture Wrapping Perpendicular?

Guest mlasnon
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks for reading.

I'm trying to get this texture to wrap all around the sphere in one direction, but it also wraps perpendicular which is killing my render!!!

I cannot figure out what setting I need to set to wrap these stripes in one direction making unobstructed rings all the way around.

Hope you can help!

post-68494-0-15620200-1346257799_thumb.p

Can you select just the polygons you want it on, then drop the texture on them? If so, Id colour the rest first, then do that last. you may not even need to use the gradient option depending on the number of circuits you want the colour to do.......see second and third pics

Id be interested to see your texture settings cos I replicated you material and plopped it on a sphere but it did do what yours has done.... see first pic

Guest mlasnon
  • Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

Thanks for really digging into this!

I cannot select the polygons because the sphere is just the beginnings of a much larger artwork, all seamless using the same texture, folding and bending... Please see the example (will be a lot more complex though!)

post-68494-0-15378700-1346273324_thumb.p

Guest mlasnon
  • Topic Author

And here are my texture settings! Looks like I am hacking away at it to get my stripes, maybe that's my problem...?

post-68494-0-98302200-1346273676_thumb.p

post-68494-0-65158300-1346274249_thumb.p

Guest mlasnon
  • Topic Author

Alright, I got the stripes to go all the way around, but now the floor and sphere don't match up. I think I need to work on this for a while...

Group your items together and apply flat mapping to the group.

R

post-74060-0-54686600-1346278126_thumb.p

post-74060-0-66238300-1346278547_thumb.p

Guest mlasnon
  • Topic Author

Wow. It looks great now, thank you. So simple but I would have tweaked it for hours trying to aline each section individually... alt-g. That's all... And I don't even know what I did to get that first texture I started out with, but all is working now!

Glad it worked.

R

another is that instead of using 2D-V, use the 3D-Linear and set the Space to World.

Guest mlasnon
  • Topic Author

I'll try that when I have the scene built out. Thanks! Ideally it will look more like bent geometry than 3D.