Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chinggis

Trying To Understand Transform Mode And Space Effector Attributes

• Topic Author
  • Can anyone point me to a clear description (written or video) of the Transform Mode and Transform Space effector attributes. I've already read the help file and performed extensive we search to no avail. While I think I may understand the Transform Space attribute, the Mode is another story.

Thank you all,

• Topic Author
  • To put more meat on the bones, this my current understanding:

• Relative Mode: Causes movement relative to object’s (e.g., clone's) own axis point. Node, Effector and Object Space settings seem to have no effect.
    • Absolute Mode:

• Node Space: Same behavior as Relative Mode.
      • Effector Space: Causes movement relative to effector’s axis point rather the object’s (clone's) own axis point. So, if the effector is animated through the object, the effector interprets the P.XYZ attributes as being relative to the effector’s axis point rather than the object’s.
      • Object Space: Causes movement relative to parent’s (e.g., cloner or fracture object) axis point rather the object’s own axis point. So, if the effector is animated through the object, the effector interprets the P.XYZ attributes as being relative to the parent’s axis point rather than the object’s.

[*]​Remap Mode: don't understand yet.

For those wondering what the member is talking about here's the effector attributes they are referring to.

To be honest I'm not sure what all these modes etc do either. Something I'll look into over the weekend if I get a moment. The documentation on this is not very clear.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • Performed some simple controlled experiments to clarify for myself how the effector Transform Mode and Transform Space selections affect transformation. I attempted to attach some screenshots (TIFs) but rcvd msg stating "You are note permitted to upload this kind of file." How can I upload them?

You need to convert the tif files to jpegs. tifs are far too big in file size to allow them as image attachments.

I had a quick look at the weekend. I found the documentation virtually useless on explaining these modes. If I can figure them out and or what you've done point me in the right direction I'll make a tutorial as I'm sure most people don't understand them either.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • Ah, jpg. Thanks, Kiwi. I've attached them.

post-118749-0-26803800-1346702913_thumb.

post-118749-0-10423000-1346702914_thumb.

post-118749-0-92133600-1346702914_thumb.

post-118749-0-72310200-1346702915_thumb.

post-118749-0-59986700-1346702916_thumb.

post-118749-0-53001700-1346702917_thumb.

Thanks. I'll work my way through these and see if I can get my brain to take it in :)

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • Notes re Transform Mode tests

TransformNotes.pdf

Thanks.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • Performed some more controlled experiments focusing on Scaling transformation using Relative, Absolute and Remap Transform Modes. Results attached.

Transform.pdf