Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brubaker

Cutaway Of A Subpoly Displacement Texture

• Topic Author
  • Greetings All,

I've got a bit of a roadblock and I don't think there's an easy way around it.

I've made a nice bubbly organic texture and applied it just to the top polys of a box using Sub Polygon Displacement.

Using another box in a Boole (in subtract mode) I'm trying to 'cut away' the texture to show a cross-section, but the end result is less than desirable. (see attached) It 'sort of' works, but not really.

I think the only way to get a nice clean cross section of the hills and valleys is to actually make them by hand instead of using SubPolyDisp.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance for your time.

cheers,

bw

post-109325-0-97986600-1346428026_thumb.

Have you tried using the Displacer deformer and executing a "Current State to Object" then knife cutting your section?

You should be UV mapping your plane and then going into either photoshop or Bodypaint and creating a black and white image for the displacement map. Look at the image below. I have broken down what you need to do. Just remember most importantly that the white parts are what displaces. Have a look at my UV and texturing parts of my tutorial. This is just a plane so it will be very simple. No cutting. Hope this helps.

post-139996-0-45763300-1346433043_thumb.

post-139996-0-69141400-1346433797_thumb.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks so much for the suggestions! I'll forge ahead and post the results.

One question Collin - why don't you like triangle polys vs quads? More predictable results with quads?

thanks again...

It is just good habit to always model in quads. The unwrapping process of the UV's is extremely predictable. If you have tri's and attempt to go around a edge sometimes it can get messy. Over at big houses we are always told to model in quads.

• Topic Author
  • Have you tried using the Displacer deformer and executing a "Current State to Object" then knife cutting your section?

In the end I went with this technique. Turn off Sub Poly Displacement and use just normal Displacement; place a Displacer deformer as a child of object (checking the 'emulate' box under 'object' tab), and put the bump material all the way to the right. (The displacer uses this material).

'Current state to object', delete all materials. Then I used a Boole subtract and chopped the textured rectangle.

Thanks again, love C4D cafe! Hope this helps someone else too.

post-109325-0-70858600-1346597030_thumb.