Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kahuna

Closing Splined Selectively

• Topic Author
  • I know what I want to do, but I don't quite know how to explain it in the title. So, I'll try to explain what I'm trying to achieve.

I want to created an extruded model of the attached jpg. I've traced it in Illustrator CS6, imported it into C4D, pulled the spline into an extrude nurb, made it hierarchical and tried closing the outline spline. What I can't figure out is how to cut out the 3 holes.

Any suggestions or comments on how stupid I am are welcome.

post-113235-0-84268300-1346788550_thumb.

splines.zip

Guest Harrybee

Did you connect (merge) the 4 splines to one Spline?

Btw: C4D has also a Vectorization-Spline which convert a b/w graphic into a Spline.

CU and have a nice day.

I couldn't resist. Here's your splines all cleaned up and ready to rock and roll :)

It would have been quicker for me to manually recreate this shape with Bezier splines.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • Cheers dude, are you a closet Ukeist ?

How did you do it though ?

Cheers dude, are you a closet Ukeist ?

How did you do it though ?

Closet Ukeist? I used to play fingerstyle guitar until I got into this 3D nonsense. If I ever get it out of my system I'll start playing again.

How did I do it? First thing I did was delete the double up of splines. You've got 2 of everything plus one that consists of just a point. Then I fixed up each spline. Path 2 for example. In point mode you can see where the splines starts and finishes by the colour. i.e. blue and white. There's 3 points in the same place.

By using the Live selection tool you can select them one by one. Two need deleting. Your then left with a gap.

That gap is closed by using the Close option on the spline (Splines need to be closed so that they can be extruded with an ExtrudeNurbs object). I did the same for the other splines.

It's then just a matter of running a connect and delete command to combine the splines and delete the originals. It then can be extruded in the normal way. Holes are generated automatically.

Hope this helps.

3DKIwi

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for that Kiwi (Ukeist = Ukulele player btw...the headstock only has 4 tuners).

The problem I had when I extruded it was that I only got an extruded outline, rather than the solid headstock in your model. Guess I just need to practice.

• Topic Author
  • Btw: C4D has also a Vectorization-Spline which convert a b/w graphic into a Spline.

I had a play with that, but it gave me a really crappy outline. When saving Illustrator files for import into C4D, what version should I save it as for compatibility ?

Guest Harrybee

I had a play with that, but it gave me a really crappy outline. When saving Illustrator files for import into C4D, what version should I save it as for compatibility ?

Yeah, it's depending on the picture quality and also on the settings in the vectorize object.

You can convert it to a real spline to adjust it.

Regarding Illustrator format:

Please use the AI 8 format, this was the last illustrator format which works with C4D (and other none Adobe Illustrator programs).

CU .