Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest kstebbs

Weird Extrusion Reflection, Has To Be An Easy Fix.

Guest kstebbs
  • Topic Author
  • So I've got a text object extruded quite a ways. I'm getting a weird reflection on the side/extrusions. It seems like there are a ton of random stripes/lines where there should just be a smooth surface reflection of the letters next to it.

I've lowered my reflection depth to 1 (as low as it goes). I'm using global illumination with a couple luminance spheres above the text object.

Any idea as to what I'm looking at? Is this how it should look?

I've attached a detail shot below...

Sample: http://i.imgur.com/cONmk.jpg

Guest kstebbs
  • Topic Author
  • Did a little more tweaking and got here: http://i.imgur.com/MXteb.jpg

The reflections still feel weird to me. It seems like the reflections should be larger, since the letters are so close to each other. Thoughts?

We need your scene file.

3DKiwi

p.s. Feel free to use the Cafe's image attachment system. Under "More Reply Options".

It looks to me as though the outermost surface of the extrusions may be transparent, with the reflections happening on the inner surface of the core/hole extrusions. The scene file would certainly help.

edit: is the type still in a generator? - if you've converted it you might want to check that the normals are pointing outward.

Mark

Guest kstebbs
  • Topic Author
  • I'll post my scene file soon here, sorry for the delay. Due to timing constraint, I've steered in another direction for this particular project. However, I would still very much like to learn what was happening.

hulaboy: I hadn't thought of it like that. to my knowledge, the outer layer is not transparent... but maybe the reflections are being rendered as such.

Guest kstebbs
  • Topic Author
  • Here is the scene file. Any thoughts?

Counter_1.c4d