Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Vestanpance

Do You Prefer Video Or Text Tutorials ?

Guest Vestanpance
  • Topic Author
  • I plan on doing a few tutorials and thought I'd do a quick poll to find out how C4Ders prefer them, video or text. They both have their strength and also their weaknesses.

(My apologies if there's a way to start a poll, I didn't see one.)

So, do you prefer video tutorials or text/image tutorials?

Frankly, I'll take them anyway I can get them. One nice feature of text and image is one may want to review one operation without scrubbing through a video. Videos are more fun to watch. You can imbed videos in text of course.

I prefer videos. I find with text based ones unless they're really good they often miss out critical things.

I don't allow members to start polls. We'd be having someone start one every 5 minutes if I allowed them.

3DKiwi

I use a lot of both, and like you said each has pros and cons. The big pro for text is it is way easier and quicker to refer back to some specific part. It is also far easier to follow along, step by step. It just makes a far better reference source. The huge con is they almost always have typos and mistakes or forget to mention one little part and it is very frustrating to figure out where you/they went off track.

The big pro for videos are that you can actually see what they are doing and discover the little parts glossed over in text tuts (unless dialog boxes open partially off screen, which occasionally happens). The Instructors also tend to remember little things as they go along that are very important and insightful to learning. Even when the Instructor calls a tool by its wrong name, you can still see which tool he actually uses. In general, video tuts have way fewer mistakes and are less frustrating to achieve the final result. The big con is it is hard to go back and actually find something you needed again. I've wasted hours scrubbing through videos for that one small part I needed. Another drawback is, even with two monitors, it is very hard to follow along step by step. I find myself stopping the video to track down the commands, etc on my end, and/or rewinding constantly, and going too far or not far enough back. It can get frustrating and time consuming.

I wouldn't turn my back to either choice, but usually I prefer text based tuts. Only because of the reference aspect. But that probably has more to do with the way my brain functions and actually works. What I really would love is both - a text based tut that also has the same project done as a video tut. The best of both worlds. Even if the text part was just a recipe type list of the critical steps and settings needed to achieve the goal. Bullet points. But for now what I do is take detailed notes on the video tutorials (which takes forever) so I have a permanent written record.

Sorry for the long winded post, which doesn't even answer your question. Oh well, that's me.

Personally, I prefer video tutorials mainly because I have problems reading text. My eyes jitter and I have to keep going back and find where I was in the text and try reading again until my eyes jitter again. I find videos very good in that I can watch the overall screen and listen to the audio. However, it really depends on the presenter too. I've watched some YouTube tutorials where the presenter is as dull as can be or they are just winging it with no real plan. Those types of videos can be worse then reading for me! But, videos still get my vote.

Al

I'm happy with both, I just chuck them on the 2nd monitor and away we go

Guest dataflow
  • Topic Author
  • i think video's.

someone said a pro for text is you can easily ref back to a spot but i thinks its easier with a video to ref back to a spot.

I would say that a prefer text tutorials for things like texturing tutorials. In those cases there are so many parameters to set so it can get lost in video.

For modelling and animation, I prefer video.

// Hexster

Video for me. Reading text on screen seems to just put me to sleep.

I prefer videos. I find with text based ones unless they're really good they often miss out critical things.

3DKiwi

I totally agree with this. Its not quite so bad when you have been using a program for a while,

but if you are brand new, I find the written ones often miss important steps or take for granted

you should already know to do that step, or they use terminology that you don't yet understand.

I also find that with the good/experienced video tutors, they will also go into way more details

than someone writing them would. ie as they are working they will often explain the 'why's' rather

than just the 'how's', as well as pointing out other ways to get that result. A lot more explanation

of what the tools/settings actually do in general.

If I had the option to choose, I would much prefer Video.

Guest Vestanpance
  • Topic Author
  • Awesome feedback. Some good points in there to remember when I'm putting these together. Thanks!

A lot of good point Nixie. Another that 3DKiwi add into his tutorials is the pitfalls that may turn up as you are working. I think this could ruin a fluid piece of writing taking the reader off at a tangent breaking the learning flow. I think this is less a problem with video because as most of us at some point watched television your brain is trained for off tangent breaks called advertisements. I think reading is a more concentrating learning experience while video has a more relaxed because the workload for your brain is being handled by vision and hearing. Both have their place and their strengths and weaknesses but I'm still for video. There's also the personal touch that video gives you, getting to know your teacher is, I think, a bonus. You could be sitting in a bar down in NZ one night and think 'hold on I recognize that voice' :wackywink: