Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Vestanpance

Do You Prefer Video Or Text Tutorials ?

Guest dataflow
  • Topic Author
  • why not do both.

do a video tut then use that as ref when writing the text tut

Guest Vestanpance
  • Topic Author
  • why not do both.

do a video tut then use that as ref when writing the text tut

If I got paid for it...you bet I would. Problem is they can take quite a bit of time.

Guest dataflow
  • Topic Author
  • add a donation link im sure people will pay if its good enough

At first I needed video. I have kinda run out of things to learn though and the deeper stuff tends to be written in text because in general people make tutorials on the easy things....

Guest Wazea
  • Topic Author
  • I prefer videos

Personally I like text with pictures, so I have the tutorial on my iPad at the side of my screen. If the video can run on the iPad that's good too. However, If i want to learn what ever the tutorial is telling me, I'll use either. I'm just not keen on flicking between C4d and a video on one screen. Maybe I'm picky!

Shepperd O'neil provides a great example of well prepared and delivered video tutorials (Kiwi's tuts are always highly regarded).

Written tutorials can be good but they are also subject to how well the tutorial is laid out. I often find that the quality and size of the screen grabs can be poor to average with text being fuzzy or pixelated. A good example of a text-based tutorial would be Stuart Lynch's VRay intro for C4D. In the end, if it's well done (which would include user feedback before release), it will be well received regardless of the medium.

pfx make some interesting points that made me think. A good written tutorial is a good tutorial and a good video tutorial is a good video tutorial. It may depend a lot on the author, whether they are suited to write tutorials ,create video tutorials write books or just be able to do it all. I just thought I'd turn the original question around. What do you think you would be better at producing? I think the medium that you are most comfortable working in may influence how well your teaching comes across. I've seen plenty of tutorial where the author obviously knows what they are talking about and you know that there is a wealth of knowledge waiting to be piped into your brain but, they end up waffling or taking too long to explain stuff of going off at a tangent. I'm not putting these guys down because I'll hang in there if I sense there's gold to be found but some folk are suited to certain roles. I'm stopping now as I got a bit of a passion for that so I'll stop boring you. Generally I just like to say 'Make Cube, make cube big' :wackywink:

I have seen that the easier tutorials I make are regarded much more. When I get into the more complex issues "Harder vids to make" you get less of a draw and response. Then again making the harder stuff strengthens me on that topic given I have to do it for you guys. In regards to some things written I have my own little black book filled with 100's of pages of notes I have collected over the years on stuff I have built myself. The book has always stayed with me while the files have been lost or forgotten about....

Then again making the harder stuff strengthens me on that topic given I have to do it for you guys.

Not exactly sure what you mean by this? You dont have to do anything....and to my knowledge

you are pretty new around here. :wackywink: 2 weeks or so....unless you had a previous account :lol:

I think you will find the majority of regular members here are just as experienced as you are. Possibly

even more so. I think some of those guys might find that comment a little off.

I think what you meant was 'when I am wanting to help the new members here" :thumbsup:

more OT. I saw part of one of your tuts and I think you have an interesting approach. Ive seen people

do walk through's on how they originally made something, but I have never seen an actual tut (or not

that I have noticed anyway) where the commentary is done after the recording. Do you do them all like

that or was this just a one off?

The majority of people on the planet have access to a either a personal computer, smartphone or tablet and that percentage increases each year dramatically. You have access to all those people via the internet to distribute videos. I know speaking for myself when I am hunting for a tutorial I look for a free one first, then a paid one if I can't find a free one, then and only then will I search for a text based tutorial if I cannot find a video. So it's always a good idea to produce some free tutorials on YouTube, Vimeo and other public forums as a way to generate interest and desire for more, with a link to your paid tutorials. If you are going to produce text tutorials then I would target the tablet market primariy because people are more likely to read text based tutorials on a tablet while away from their desk.

Well for the most part I simply narrate the tutorials after I have done them so I can run the audio through my Pro Tools board and monitor things. I just feel as though I can better describe the actions afterwards rather than maybe miss a button click or a reason I did something.

When saying that I had to do it for you guys I was implying that I had to display myself performing the task. To be honest I was speaking as a whole and not just this forum. I make tutorials for Maya and Cryengine users as well so when I meant you guys I was speaking across platforms with coding included. Not everyone can remember everything and doing tutorials is time consuming. I was not being sarcastic or harsh. :wackywink:

Btw I feel like I am responding to a GF text...