Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest wren

Problems Baking Out Sculpting To Maya/3Delight

Guest wren
  • Topic Author
  • Our department finally recieved Bodypaint R14 and we are enjoying the sculpting tools so far.

However we are having problems exporting Displacement maps to use in Maya/3delight.

Anyone have luck exporting to Maya/3Delight?

Guest wren
  • Topic Author
  • I believe they export as Vector displacement and not traditional displacement...

The Baking Options offers vector displacement. However it also has a Displacement Intensity option which is the traditional grey scale displacement map utilized in most pipelines. We are getting artifacts in the output from both the Vector and Intensity option. We need to figure out how to use regular displacement maps as they are simpler to implement in our pipeline and also edit in Photoshop.

Guest Harrybee
  • Topic Author
  • Maybe it could help if you would export/bake it into an 32Bit format picture (e.g. openEXR) if you don't already do this.

CU.

Guest Harrybee
  • Topic Author
  • We are using 32-bit tiff's. Are exr's better?

Ah, ok.

I don't thinks so that this relevant for your problem if it's TIF or openEXR in 32Bit format.

Could you upload a (reduced, zipped) C4D example file and/or a picture here in the forum which shows this artifacts.

CU and have a great day.

Guest wren
  • Topic Author
  • Ah, ok.

I don't thinks so that this relevant for your problem if it's TIF or openEXR in 32Bit format.

Could you upload a (reduced, zipped) C4D example file and/or a picture here in the forum which shows this artifacts.

CU and have a great day.

The sculpt file is too big to put on forum due to 2meg limit and so is the textures. Here is the sculpt and render comparison.

post-140750-0-39593600-1347489674_thumb.post-140750-0-88982900-1347489660_thumb.post-140750-0-66408200-1347489652_thumb.post-140750-0-08524500-1347489645_thumb.

Guest wren
  • Topic Author
  • I took the baked out float images into Photoshop and made jpegs. The Center Intensity displacement I had to play with the levels so you can see what is going on.

post-140750-0-00372700-1347490124_thumb.post-140750-0-41242700-1347490154_thumb.

Guest wren
  • Topic Author
  • Not sure if we are missing something in the export/bake out process from Bodypaint R14 or perhaps we need to adjust our shaders in 3Delight/Renderman to interpret the displacement maps.

ps. The normal map looks ok from the baking however we don't really use normal maps since we do mostly feature film work that requires displacement.

post-140750-0-34929000-1347490605_thumb.

I can tell you right off the bat that those edges are too crisp. Take for instance if I create a tesselation map for Cryengine. I must go in and apply guassian blur at about 5% to fix the artifacting. This appears to be the same thing. As for the inflation on the sides it looks like you could control that in Maya under displacement. In C4D you get edge issues with smoothing and have to apply edge detection in the hypernurbs.

Guest wren
  • Topic Author
  • I don't feel that blurring the textures is a proper solution to remove the kind of artifacts present in the baked out textures...

Guest wren
  • Topic Author
  • The textures above had no SuperSampling. So I tried again with maxed out 10 samples and made no difference. I can't even tell which one is has 0 vs 10 samples.