Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strelok

Error Saving Image

• Topic Author
  • Hi, when i try to render a movie using avi, (didn't try quicktime) i always get the error "error saving image", no matter where i save it or the name. Is there a fix? thanks!

• Topic Author
  • Author of the topic Posted

i was able to render it using quicktime movie. but why doensn't it work with avi movie?

I don't know why you're having this problem... but it is just one of the reasons why you should never output final renders from a 3D application as an encapsulated movie file. Always render to lossless image sequences, then output any movie file from an editing/compositing application (this could include Cinema's own Picture Viewer). The other main reasons are:

- Quality. You're always working with frames which are of equal high quality. Images can be output at higher bit depths than movie files, which is essential for external manipulation/compositing workflows.

- Flexibility. You can generate differently formatted versions of your animation later without including the compromises of the original render. Movie files will almost always degrade if you convert between codecs.

- Insurance. If the render crashes you won't lose everything, you can pick up where the crash occurred.

Mark

Guest Harrybee

Hi Strelok,

maybe one of the reasons in the posting below could be the troublemaker:

But in general I would propose to follow hulaboy's suggestions ;-)

CU and have a great day.

Guest Vestanpance

X2 on Hulaboy's advice.

But...to address you problem, is the save path valid for the movie?

• Topic Author

I don't know why you're having this problem... but it is just one of the reasons why you should never output final renders from a 3D application as an encapsulated movie file. Always render to lossless image sequences, then output any movie file from an editing/compositing application (this could include Cinema's own Picture Viewer). The other main reasons are:

- Quality. You're always working with frames which are of equal high quality. Images can be output at higher bit depths than movie files, which is essential for external manipulation/compositing workflows.

- Flexibility. You can generate differently formatted versions of your animation later without including the compromises of the original render. Movie files will almost always degrade if you convert between codecs.

- Insurance. If the render crashes you won't lose everything, you can pick up where the crash occurred.

Mark

thanks for this... i will try it

if i render to the picture viewer, my only option is to assemble all the pictures in another program like premiere pro, or can i export to avi directly from the picture viewer?

many people talk about codecs. in cinema 4d i found microsoft rle and some intel stuff. which should i choose for rendering in full hd?

But...to address you problem, is the save path valid for the movie?

if i choose avi movie it will always happen. i also changed the path. if i use quicktime movie instead, it renders.

Guest Vestanpance

You can use Quicktime Pro to assemble. It's cheap, like $30 or something, that's what I use.

Almost certainly a codec issue. I use Videomach to assemble videos from rendered stills.

3DKiwi

Guest Harrybee

thanks for this... i will try it

if i render to the picture viewer, my only option is to assemble all the pictures in another program like premiere pro, or can i export to avi directly from the picture viewer?

many people talk about codecs. in cinema 4d i found microsoft rle and some intel stuff. which should i choose for rendering in full hd?

Premiere pro should be able to import picture sequences.

And yes, you can save the picture sequences as AVI / MOV file from the picture viewer after the single pictures was rendered or loaded into the picture viewer.

CU

• Topic Author

how do you make a sequence in after effects? in premiere pro i would import all the images, put them in timeline, select them all and setting a duration of 1 frame. in after effects if i import them in the timeline they would stack on top of each other.