Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest QuentinB

In 2012 Is Cineversity Worth The Loot?

Guest QuentinB
  • Topic Author
  • Hello,

I've been a cinema user for several years now, but sometimes I'd like to push to a more advanced level. Over the years I have often contemplated joining cineversity. My question is whether or not the content is really worth the amount you have to pay.

Thanks!

Quentin

Unfortunately, not anymore.

They really dropped the ball with their new site roll-out this year. The flash based playback has gotten worse, and well below the standards that people have come to expect these days. They have a huge number of tutorials... while some of the older ones may still be applicable, many are simply outdated.

Guest dataflow
  • Topic Author
  • your probably better off getting the Vertex Pusher tutorials

Guest QuentinB
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks for the heads up guys ! Its appreciated :) I did see a few tutorials they have listed in the Technical Director area that seemed interesting, but I don't I want to drop 295 for just a handful.

if you haven't already, check out fxphd. Top notch.

I recently allowed my Cineversity subscription to lapse.

Along with Vertex Pusher, I can highly recommend Digital Tutors.

In addition to C4D they cover many other applications that we are likely to use.

Their Max/Maya VRay tutorials for VRay are very helpful - especially the post work in Photoshop.

However, in my view their C4D VRay tutorial falls behind the others.

Check out the new series they released for C4D R14.

http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/training.php?pid=841

I agree with much of what everyone is saying. I am dissapointed with the lack of real content this year. I am just glad I bought in at the $30 trial. I have learned a good bit, but I was hoping for a lot more with the site revamp they did. Also I can only watch the tuts with Chrome. No other browser seems to work properly.

Guest msoile
  • Topic Author
  • I agree with much of what everyone is saying. I am dissapointed with the lack of real content this year. I am just glad I bought in at the $30 trial. I have learned a good bit, but I was hoping for a lot more with the site revamp they did. Also I can only watch the tuts with Chrome. No other browser seems to work properly.

Yeah, I paid the 300 dollars for the old site and was just left dumb-founded about what to watch or where to go.  The player was terrible and the organization of content was bad.  They gave me a 3 month subscription extension for the new site.  Still terrible.  The new site is also not grouped in any sort of semantic way, there's no tracking for what tutorials you watch, there's no variable speed playback, no option to download content to watch offline, the video player is atrocious, and a lot of the material I saw was outdated or had no context.  It was like walking in halfway through the film for clicking on a lot of the tutorials.  The old site, awful maybe, but the content was grouped better.

The best training I've seen by far is Vertex pusher.  It's cheaper, it's better, it's the standard.  Frankly, MAXON should just pay him to redo all their categories of training and call that the university, stick the other stuff in a place called "old" .  

Digital tutors has really good stuff that is not Cinema 4D.  Their training in Zbrush, Maya, and 3ds Max are great, likewise, their Unity 3d training is also good.  The lack of a variable playback speed is still killing me though.  But when it comes to C4D, their stuff is pretty lame compared to anything else they do.  FxPHD seems to be the place for the intermediate+ workflow, but the price is pricey.  I can't comment on their stuff, but the Greyscale Gorilla guy said that the FxPhd trainer was amazing, and the Greyscale Gorilla guy is pretty amazing.  By the transitive property of amazing, it must be great.

FxPHD seems to be the place for the intermediate+ workflow, but the price is pricey. I can't comment on their stuff, but the Greyscale Gorilla guy said that the FxPhd trainer was amazing, and the Greyscale Gorilla guy is pretty amazing. By the transitive property of amazing, it must be great.

I'm in my second term at fxPhd and I have to concur. The best training PERIOD! I've done a lot of training in the last year so I have a lot to compare to. I have extensive experience with Lynda, cmiVFX, Digital Tutors, Vertex Pusher, Motioneers, Cineversity, Greyscale Gorilla, Red Giant TV, as well as many individuals on YouTube and Vimeo. Tim Clapham is just the best there is, AMAZING! :)

I was under impression that he works for MAXON? His profile says MAXON Alpha team?

Thanks for the kind words and recommendations :)

I don't work for MAXON - being in Alpha (or Beta) team means I am a tester for early versions of Cinema which is not payed position.

The best training I've seen by far is Vertex pusher. It's cheaper, it's better, it's the standard. Frankly, MAXON should just pay him to redo all their categories of training and call that the university, stick the other stuff in a place called "old" .

Thank you - I am very flattered by this post :)

If not, I would definitely want to see those trainings packed and delivered with C4D. Judging by the pricing on his website, I think MAXON could certainly afford it and finally have proper training material distributed with the software. It would be way more usable than cheap 3D glasses and quick manual.

They can't afford me ;)

Kidding aside, I would certainly consider such scenario. Last training I did for a major company was Maxwell render for Cinema training which proved to be very successful. This lead to substantial amount of e-mails

where people asked when I will do Cinema/Vray tutorial.

Cheers

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

I'll add to the praise of Hrvoje's tuts, however one thing to keep in mind is that you can watch modeling

tuts done in other applications and apply the knowledge to your Cinema modeling. The workflow is the same.

Thus Digital Tutors becomes a tremendous resource just in that regard alone. None of the modeling tuts I watched

early on when I was learning to model were done in Cinema - ZERO. Made no difference.

That said, Vertex Pusher is an excellent investment.

IMHO he should have made the new "Volume 1" available free to the "Gold" members that purchased

the first one. I shan't be paying twice for a volume one tutorial, 99 percent of which I don't

need at this pint, just to get some updates on the recent Cinema releases. Small quibble all in all.

Vertex Pusher tutorials are top notch. I own them all and eagerly await the release of the next "Volume" or "Project". Anything Hrvoje puts out is very complete and in-depth. He has quite a reputation here on the Cafe. No one should hesitate when making a purchase, these tutorials are a real value for sure.