Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slego

Offsetting Clones On A Deformed Plane

I see. So, you are actually looking to point each clone in direction of point normal of deformed plane on individual basis? Same as when you clone on the plane itself and align?

This is a bit of a problem since spline is used as target for clones and any orientation derived from cloner settings will be sampled from spline/rail. Also, one would have to interpolate

between two normal directions when clone is not exactly on the point itself.

You can get really close by using rail and some manual adjustment in cloner, but it is not exactly what you are looking for if you need precise results. Try this setup and see if it works for you:

OffsettingAlongPlane.zip

For 100% correct alignment I think this would require some serious Xpresso. Maybe there is a simpler solution for this. I'll think about it - thanks for the brain teaser :)

Cheers

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

Guest douwe

nice one, Hrvoje.

Yes that's exactly what I'm trying to do. Well thanks so much for having a go with it, and thanks for providing a great deal of insight into this challenge .. I'll certainly let people know if I have any luck incase anybody else is trying to achieve the same thing!

A bit of a challenge trying to mix
different kind of deformers and effectors
but I think the linked scene might be worth checking.
I didn't find a way to use the Collider deformer
for the spline so I used a plain effectors instead.

Cheers
Lennart 

That is really something what you've done there.. I'm going to try and pick apart this scene and work out how you've managed to get those clones pointing in the normal directions of the plane and also if I can keyframe/freeze-frame the animation of the formula effector. Thanks so much for providing this

Guest JimW

They're not pointing according to the plane's normals, it's the mosplines and the rails that are determining their direction.

I appreciate that about the rail, I guess it's just easier to describe as the plane's normals.. Having looked at your scene, tcastudios, I've discovered that positioning the rail parallel to the spline on the deformed plane is giving me the effect of pointing the clones according to the plane normals. Also of the extra flexibility that mo-splines offer for additional effects. Attached is the scene I've come out with ... 

Thanks so much for all the help people!

OffsettingAlongPlane3.c4d