Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest alink

How Do I Animate A Rig/deform A Mesh With Ni Mate Mocap? Trying But Failing Miserably!

Guest alink   
Guest alink
  • Topic Author
  • Please bear with me I have only been using 3d software for a month.

I have been trying for the entire day to animate a mesh I made with ni mate and my konnect sensor.  I have been able to get the kinect and ni mate to work fine and have gotten data into Cinema 4d.  The problem is after I have made my joint system, bound it to the mesh, and added auto-weighting to it, I then go to add PSR constraints to the joints so that they are stuck to the nulls that ni mate has created (the mocap data) and my mesh is horribly deformed.

Is what I'm trying to do impossible because of the way my model is constructed and the way the kinect skeleton is constructed??

How would I go about doing this efficiently, or at all???

Here is the basic file without ni mate data, and then one with some ni mate animated null data with the horribly deformed mesh constrained to it.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?b15ix4k5w9rnzcp

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?629cd6y162a4g22

also there is a really quick screenshot of the problem if you only have a couple minutes...!

Thank you SO, SO, much.  I am really struggling with this as I really have no idea what I'm doing even though I've been watching tutorials...

Cheers!

Anders

Thank you, again!

post-149247-0-38217700-1362375130_thumb.

airbusch    18

Here, this guy has created a free rig to take your Ni mate nulls and rig them to a C4D skeleton. There is also a 13 minute tutorial.

All the best!

http://cgterminal.com/2012/05/02/cinema-4d-r13-kinect-character-template/

Here is another free download from c4dtools, called Joint Targeter, for connecting the nulls to joints for Ni Mate captures. Two different approaches. Unfortunately they are both for R13, but maybe they'll work for you.

http://c4dtools.net/joint-targeter/

Guest alink   
    Guest alink
  • Topic Author
  • Okay it doesn't look like any of these people have actually tried using it with a pre-built mesh.  I can get it to work perfectly when I target objects like spheres,  but when it comes to actually deforming a mesh the rotation, scaling, everything is off. 

Would I have to generate the mocap data then adjust the skeleton size of just that data?  Then I would  bind the mesh to the transformed data.... if that makes sense.

I tried Josh's tutorial and again, it worked for spheres and the skeleton looks fine, but when I adjusted the rig to fit my character everything got way out of whack.

anyways thanks a lot for the targeting tool... I'll have to give it a try later....

Has anyone animated a mesh using ni mate?

airbusch    18

Sorry those links didn't help. I have never done anything with Ni Mate, but the reason I mentioned it to you was that last week I had seen the Joint Targeter and started exploring Ni Mate. However, when I checked the Ni Mate forum (which I often do to see if the product creators are supporting their product), it seemed a lot of folks were having trouble with C4D integration without much help forthcoming from the Ni Mate folks, which kind of turned me off to trying their product or exploring further. I was hoping to pick your brain about how you set things up to see if I wanted to jump into Ni Mate, but after reading the post you linked to, I think I'll wait a bit until they get some of the bugs worked out, if they even bother. Most of that stuff seems to be originally designed for PC and doesn't always function the same on a Mac. I was wondering if you were on Mac or PC?

Guest alink   
    Guest alink
  • Topic Author
  • Airbusch would you mind looking at my patch and letting me know if I'm just doing something terribly wrong?  I tried today to adjust the joint orientation but it didn't make any difference.

Thank you so much.. really going to give up on it for now though.

Cheers,

Anders

airbusch    18

Anders, there's nothing here to look at. Not sure I would know anyway.

Guest alink   
    Guest alink
  • Topic Author
  • Ok well what really seems to be the problem is I'm just not getting the rotational data to work from ni mate..

actually really simple.  im pretty sure this is the problem now..

airbusch    18

Anders, I'm really interested to know if you get this working. I know it must be extremely frustrating, but please post your progress if you don't mind.

Guest alink   
    Guest alink
  • Topic Author
  • Oh man.  Thanks for saying that.  I originally thought this post, as my first, was going to result in: dude what are you doing that mesh looks like Sh**.  I'm really new to all this stuff but I'm doing it for my senior thesis so I kinda just am going all in.  I've been working all day on it again.  At this point I am convinced it's a problem with the way the software is all hooking up because I just can't get the rotation values of these joints.

the crazy thing is how long it took me to figure out that it is (probably) the lack of rotation values.  I mean i tried adjusting all sorts of things today - especially the axis orientation which i think was never a problem to begin with...

I spent the first 20 hours not even readjusting the null data to the shape of my character's skeleton.  that seems obvious but somehow I just didn't do it. 

This stuff is just ridiculously complicated and specific and theres not a lot of information on ni mate for cinema 4d, and searching for anything can be hard. whatever this is what using a compute is all about.  i enjoy the torture i think.

I'll let you know.  the kinect is so powerful.

Honestly it would be easiest just to use brekel or possibly just download blender and learn that.  i'm just really stubborn.  because i've kind of just adopted cinema 4d totally.  Thing is now I realize how great the maya support community is (just due to the size and sophistication of it).  but there is something pretty charming about cinema.

Idk. I'll let you know.  If anyone else has gotten a mesh to deform with ni mate or in general has tips for whats going on.  yeah.  chime on in.

Cheers,

Anders

robbing    24

I used the Kinect with NI mate for this test:

just doing child part of the character to the nulls (also I added animation for each part,the Ni mate capture was only move/physical reference) a lot of work to add each part to the nulls. I tried do the same with the rigged character and no works. I don´t know how to set the NI mate nulls to the rig,adjust to the proportions of my character and especially don´t have to do that with each new capture. These are something I´ve to learn. Haven´t see any tutorial about that yet.

At the moment I use Ni mate just for no rigged characters.  :UFOGoldorak7: