Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robotsim

Creating A Weld Bead

Hey all,

I am working on another simulation for my company and am wondering if any of you had ideas on how to accomplish something like this:

I am simulating a robot welding a nozzle onto a cylindrical pipe, and my boss wants to show a weld bead as well as a cross-sectional view of the weld bead.

The robot motion will be imported from a separate program and will follow the weld path perfectly, so I was wondering if there was a way to have an object be created from the movement on another?

Basically, I have a model of a torch with a wire stickout - when the time comes to weld, I want an object to be shown following that wire...I'm not sure if this is possible though.

Any thoughts?  Also, any ideas on how to do a "cross-section view" in Cinema 4D?  To show the weld as seen in the greyscale picture that's attached.

Thanks in advance!

post-147115-0-24052000-1363823618_thumb.

post-147115-0-84628900-1363823618_thumb.

post-147115-0-46476900-1363823619_thumb.

Guest Chriscorr

One way I can think of is to have a particle system emit on the tip of the welder and then have the particles drive a metaball. I'm not sure it would look exactly like weld bead s though. Maybe a more realistic looking result would be achieved by creating a displacement map that looks like weld beads and animate it in accordance with the movement of the welder.

About the crossection it's just a matter of modeling it that way if it's not animated.

You could also try an effector to create bead. Or possibly a sweep nurbs.

WOW - airbusch, those are perfect.  Thank you for taking the time to create those.  I am trying to figure out what's going on here - is the tracer effector what causes the sweep nurbs to show?

On the sweep nurbs version, the tracer is tracing the null that is a chid of the cone and positioned at the point of cone. And as the tracer (traces null) draws the spline, the sweep nurbs is sweeping the geometry of the small shape spline in sweep nurbs. Just click off checkmark for sweep and you'll see the splines. Also check setting in tracer object.

On the effector version, the tracer is used as the "source" falloff object. You can see it in falloff tab.

Hope that makes sense.

That helps a ton airbusch.  The spline is actually a perfect way to do this because we want to show bead of varying geometries - this allows us to do that.  I'm so stoked and thanks again so much for your time.

Here's another hurdle - in welding, the torch is generally weaved side-to-side as the bead is laid down.  It would be nice to show that on the simulation and in the resulting bead geometry from the spline.  I attempted to do so by keyframing the cone null object side-to-side over a few frames, but the resulting traced spline ends up "turning" with the weave moment.  Is there a way to keep the traced spline perpendicular to the cone motion, even as it moves side-to-side?

Also, anyone have ideas on the "cross-sectioning" in cinema 4d?

Y'all are the best, thanks again.

Josh

post-147115-0-20703500-1363882075_thumb.

You need to do a couple of workarounds, but here is the file. Hope this is what you are trying to do. What I have here is a bogus cone that is visible and moving back and forth with a vibrate tag set to regular. Then the actual cone that is holding null is hidden from view and render. The problem I think you were having with just animating the actual drawing cone is a problem with rail spline to keep the tracer spline from twisting. Anyway, to get the back and forth on the bead itself, I used a shader effector set to deform in point mode with noise to move sweep nurbs geometry back and forth. You can increase back and forth by playing with different noise types or just upping the amount in X in parameter tab of shader effector. You can also play around with scale in noise in shader tab to make bead displacement wider or narrow. Hope that makes sense. One last thing. I stuck a connect object in the null with the shader effector, so that the shader effector is affecting the connect object, and the connect object is connecting the Sweep Nurbs geometry. Without the connect object, the sweep nurbs caps are not connected to the sweep nurbs body, so to speak. The connect object makes the sweep nurbs behave like one piece of geometry. Hope that makes sense.

Anyway, here it is.

The cross-scection is pretty easy as well. Just create a profile spline of welding bead and extrude.

Also, have you played around with Chris Corr's idea about using thinking particles to create your welding bead? I think it would look pretty awesome, as metaballs work very nicely with TP and you would have lots of control, I think. There are many ways to accomplish what you are trying to do.

airbusch, this weld bead will be around a circular object and thus I won't be able to define a cube in space like in your picture.

Let me phrase the question differently - Is there a way to "split" geometries in C4D?  As in, can I take an object, define a cut plane, split the part along that plane, and hide the side I don't need?  Would this simply involve converting objects to polygon objects and deleting the polygons on one side?

You can just "boole" the cut plane of your object if you don't want to select polygons and delete. I'm guessing your geometry will be fairly simple, so the boole should work nicely for you, and you will have the flexibility of moving the boole objects around until you get what you want. If you delete geometry, then you are stuck with that and not much flexibility.

If you are cutting cylinders, you could also just use "slice" option on cylinder and set up the same as my cube diagram. Then use circular spline to sweep your profile of weld bead around seam. And if cylinder is "hollow" then just use a tube object with slice option. All very simple stuff.