Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robotsim

Creating A Weld Bead

Author of the topic Posted

busch, the boole works perfectly.  Thanks so much for your help, you've saved me hours of trial-and-error time

post-147115-0-70339200-1363903399_thumb.

You are very welcome! :)

I may be a little late here but I somehow stumbled across this post and got really excited! I've been looking for a solution like this for months but I'm clearly not smart enough to figure it out on my own. The objects I have that could really use a visible realistic looking weld are fairly simple but I can't really figure out how I would apply your file to them.

For example the image I've attached although much simpler than the normal scenario, would have a weld on the inner seam where the two faces meet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jordan

post-33574-0-19566700-1364928179_thumb.p

Guest Chriscorr

These look really good.

I've been looking for a solution like this for months...

Jordan, are you looking for animation or just a still image?

post-86280-0-17326200-1366288038_thumb.j

These look really good.

Chris,

Thanks for posting this. Unfortunately a lot of the models I'm rendering are exports from Solidworks and don't really have the geomtry to do this, so I was hoping for a slightly easier workflow.

Jordan, are you looking for animation or just a still image?

Lon,

Just still images. That looks awesome!

It's nothing special. Just a procedural shader with a displacement channel. I did this a few years ago but I'm sure I can find the shader if you are interested.

Ah I see... so do you make a polygon selection tag and apply it?

Guest Chriscorr

It's just a matter of creating that geometry. Just like the guy in the video, he creates a boolean just so he can get that spline and then he copies the spline and undo's everything.

I'm sure there is some way to get that edge or spline.

Chris is correct. It's just a matter of creating the geometry and applying the shader to it. For straight welds I like to use a long thin capsule and for curves a sweep nurbs. The video shows a very clever way of making a spline selection, I'll have to remember that.

For more on this technique check out this thread

The file soudre.jpg used in the displacement channel creates all the magic.