Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3D-Pangel

C4D Viewport Performance - Can We Get The Truth Behind It?

Thanks for the tops 3DKiwi.  I might try doing a plugin in the future if I lean C++ so I could work for MAXON.  Right now that would probably take me about 4 years with all the other stuff I have going on.

3D-Pangel  you need to read what I wrote better.  Forces within the cloth are calculated in step 1.  Step 2 is to spread out point forces to other parts of the cloth like happens in cloth in real life.  "To do it right, you need to consider that every point on the cloth moves at a rate proportional to the sum of the forces acting on it from the neighboring points."  That's step 1.  In step 1 I'm say all forces react on all points simultaneously and independently allowing multicoring to happen.  Some of those forces are the internal forces of the cloth pulling on itself or pushing away from itself.  The calculation for frame 2 cannot happen before frame 1 is calculated, but frame 1 with my method can be calculated with multiple cores.  The trick is to not calculate the points as if they were connected in a cloth to begin with.  Later in step 4 the points are adjusted so they don't go beyond the limits of what the cloth can do.

Water simulations are many times more difficult than cloth.  With water simulations you typically would use complicated differential equations to figure out the flow.  When I went to school I did some of this math for my BS degree.  It's incredible anyone was able to figure out differential equations to begin with.  It's not really a surprise they had trouble using those equations to do water simulations in the computer.  Those equations are meant to calculate how water reacts with 100% accuracy where for VFX doing something less than 100% accurate would be good enough and calculate way faster.

Steps 2 and 3 are really there to keep more in between interpolation frames from having to be calculated.  With steps 2 and 3 the calculation should become so rugged that only one calculation could be done per frame and have it look pretty good.

I'm late to this thread, but just an observation on the difference between DX and OGL, and using data taken from Valve. Bear in mind that Valve have recently released Steam on Linux, and Linux uses OpenGL and not DirectX (except when running Windows applications in wine). Comparisons between titles run on Windows and Linux (natively in both cases) have shown that the Linux versions almost always outperform the Windows versions.

Undoubtedly, some of the increase is testament to Linux less demanding OS and kernel, but nevertheless, it does show that the difference between the two in real world use is insignificant enough not to matter.

And it's always useful to reiterate that DX is MS proprietary software, where as OpenGL is cross platform. The use of DX rather than OGL would, as has already been noted, slash MAXON's market penetration and, as a consequence, increase the cost of the product for those that can continue to use it, whilst driving the remainder to competing packages.

Just my 2 cents.

Running C4D on Phenom II X4 965 with 8 Gig PC 6400, NVidia GTX 670 2Gb, and a lot of bits & pieces plugged in.

I take the time to answer questions as good as it is possible for me. There are things i can't talk about, but what i talk about will always be to the very best of my knowledge. 

Srek, things to talk about are the differences in viewport performance between different updates. I have a moderately complex scene that I can rotate in 14.0.14 on a i7 3770k/32GB/GTX680. In 14.034 or 14.0.41 real-time rotations in the viewport are broken and every single object becomes invisible. Same scene, same machine.

That tells me that there is a lot of room for optimization. It just goes into the wrong direction. 

Miles: This can have many causes, it's not unlikely that a feature did not work correctly in 14.014, which made it faster. You might like to get in contact with MAXON support on this though.

Miles: This can have many causes, it's not unlikely that a feature did not work correctly in 14.014, which made it faster. You might like to get in contact with MAXON support on this though.

With all due respect: The scene is the same, the render output is the same. Version 14.0.14 is usable, the updates are not. I would say a major feature does not work correctly in 14.0.34 and 14.0.41. And that would be the viewport!

With all due respect: The scene is the same, the render output is the same. Version 14.0.14 is usable, the updates are not. I would say a major feature does not work correctly in 14.0.34 and 14.0.41. And that would be the viewport!

If you can reproduce this please get in contact with MAXON support and send them all available information as well as the scene.

Thanks

Björn

I'm sorry if this is wrong but don't consumer cards (Geforce or Radeon) do DirectX much better than OpenGL

I'm sorry if this is wrong but don't consumer cards (Geforce or Radeon) do DirectX much better than OpenGL

Not necessarily - this makes interesting reading on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_OpenGL_and_Direct3D

Running C4D on Phenom II X4 965 with 8 Gig PC 6400, NVidia GTX 670 2Gb, and a lot of bits & pieces plugged in.