Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shed

Are Ngons Aways Bad?

Well the problem with using the Mustang to illustrate this is that this model is heavily subdivided in order to minimize stretching during the texturing process, and

also to hold detail. I keep multiple lower res versions of all the parts in case I need to backtrack (which happens) but subdivided when I was happy with how

everything looked. This is sort of "version 2.0" of my aircraft modeling workflow.  So the difference between the SubD and Non-SubD state is fairly subtle. But I'll post a shot.

The Hellcat on the other hand, which was my first aircraft better illustrates what is possible with less geometry. Not that I won't model this way on aircraft in the future - just depends on the bird. The Mustang presented some challenges - I wanted all those panel lines in the cowl to be actual panels, not drawn lines.

Here is "relaxed" version of the Mustang, as well as the Hellcat and it's engine with and without subD.

I'd post high res, final profile illustrations, but I had posting that stuff on the net.

post-87779-0-60970800-1374625542_thumb.j

post-87779-0-78758000-1374625609_thumb.j

post-87779-0-48754100-1374625875_thumb.j

post-87779-0-07147100-1374625909_thumb.j

post-87779-0-64236500-1374626143_thumb.j

Note the use of N-gons on the bottom of the wing to hold that odd, very difficult shape of the landing gear cutout.

This is a very useful technique, especially on aircraft skins where the metal undulates anyway, making the little artifact that often

results on the slightly curved surface a non-issue.

post-87779-0-59177000-1374626511_thumb.j

Note the use of N-gons on the bottom of the wing to hold that odd, very difficult shape of the landing gear cutout.

This is a very useful technique, especially on aircraft skins where the metal undulates anyway, making the little artifact that often

results on the slightly curved surface a non-issue.

Exactly my point. Ngons used properly are a valuable tool, not an error.

• Topic Author
  • Wow, Varanid. Those models are great. Can I ask a question about your technique? On the tight corners of the landing gear and the inset above the wing you have these loop cuts on the edges. You seem to use this a lot, and looks like a great way to control your edge flow. Is this the same technique covered in this video?

That's it - although I use this technique sparingly. Aircraft landing gear mostly thus far...otherwise the amount of geometry that would be needed to support

those shapes would be ludicrous.

He confuses things a bit IMHO going on about the "180" thing.  It's simply a loop, and by definition those

generally end up where they started.

I don't get the tearing artifact that he does, and I don't make those extra cuts at the corner. I run tight control loops around the edges before

cutting that final loop to hold the corner.

Here's what mine look like.

post-87779-0-39004900-1374696582_thumb.j

That video (with the 180 cut) is mine. Yes, technically its just a loop, however I had just called it a 180 cut at the time. The majority of my followers on youtube are beginners, so I try to make it as simple as possible.

• Topic Author
  • Cheers for posting that Varanid. It looks like you've left the the top and bottom edges as triangles, is this intensional or is this something you'd clean up later?

Getting back to N-Gons. I couldn't post earlier as R15 hadn't been announced. All my R15 models were hard surface modelled and contain N-Gons. Wherever possible I tried to maintain quads but it wasn't always possible. The N-Gons didn't cause any issues. In fact I had to melt edges i.e. convert visible edges to N-Gons to get some of the bevels to be clean. Once converted to N-Gons everything bevelled beautifully. My being that you can model quite happily using N-Gons and not get too bogged down with having to have a 100% clean edge flow / quad mesh that you usually do when modelling with Sub D surfaces.

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • Nice, is this due to the new bevel improvements to R15. It's starting to feel like it could be time to upgrade ;)

Cheers for posting that Varanid. It looks like you've left the the top and bottom edges as triangles, is this intensional or is this something you'd clean up later?

That triangle you see is what causes the adjacent Ngon, which is what we're talking about. :)

I could clean it up, but not without adding geometry, which is what I'm avoiding by doing this in the first place.

Nice, is this due to the new bevel improvements to R15. It's starting to feel like it could be time to upgrade ;)

That is due to the fact that he's modeling flat, hard surface, non-deformable surfaces.

The bevel is a side note in this context I believe.

That triangle you see is what causes the adjacent Ngon, which is what we're talking about. :)

I could clean it up, but not without adding geometry, which is what I'm avoiding by doing this in the first place.

You could dissolve the edge, and have 1 quad instead of 2 tris, is what Shed is asking. You´d still have the Ngon, but 2 tris less.