Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aneirin

Rigging A Claw Machine

• Topic Author
  • hi, I have been given the task of rigging this model in c4d: http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-claw-toy-rigged-model/728670 and I'm not really sure how to go about doing it.  I know how to do it with rigid bodies using springs and hinges, but that wouldn't be very practical to animate with.

I assume that IK would be the correct way to do it but I'm pretty clueless about that, I'm guessing that it will be a little more complex than a standard robot arm setup.

the claw consists of a central piston and three fingers, and each one is connected to either end of the piston by two points (the rigged version on turbosquid is actually wrong, it should be open when the piston is down and vice versa, and the struts are not supposed to extend either). 

can anyone suggest the best way of doing this?

thanks

• Topic Author
  • ok so I had a go at setting it up with rigid bodies, hinges, and springs, and it kind of works as long as the springs are pretty loose. it freaks out as soon as it interacts with any other objects though, and the prongs won't collide properly even though they're set to moving mesh. 

claw preview.mov

I'd still like to know the "right" way to do it if anyone has any suggestions? after a bit of reading I think it only needs constraints, not IK or anything. is that right? constraints never seem to work properly for me so I've usually just left them alone.

I wouldn't even bother with any IK chains or even joints in this case.  I'd rig it up using just nulls and constraints.  This is a fairly straight forward rig, using just PSR Constraints (point only, to allow for free rotation) and Aim constraints.

I attached a really quick and dirty potential setup.  This could get you started if you like the workflow.  From here you can embellish on it as you'd like or need.  Hope this helps.

Eric

rigged claw.c4d

Howdy,

...I'd still like to know the "right" way to do it if anyone has any suggestions? after a bit of reading I think it only needs constraints, not IK or anything. is that right? constraints never seem to work properly for me so I've usually just left them alone...

In my opinion, IK is the best and simplest way to do it.

Here is a simple example:

The setup is using my CD IK Tools plugin which you can download from the link in my signature and use in the Runtime mode to open the file and study the setup.

Adios,

Cactus Dan

• Topic Author
  • hey thanks a lot both of you!

it's really useful to get two different approaches to look at, this will help a lot.

cactus dan, I have looked at your plugins before and they look great. I'm trying to persuade my boss to get it now, but it's a pretty tough sell, we don't really do much character work usually. I'd really like to start doing more though.