Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eight

Emitting Particles From A Position Moving Along A Spline

• Topic Author
  • http://www.youtube.com/embed/FSTN2hhfgQ8

I am generating thousands of splines, and then animate them using animated hair texture (that slides along the splines) as in the video above. Instead, I would like to slide an emitter to generate particles from a position which moves along the splines.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Have you tried using an "Align to spline" expression tag on your emitter?

3DKiwi

• Topic Author
  • Have you tried using an "Align to spline" expression tag on your emitter?

3DKiwi

No, I did not. Trying it now.

Thanks a lot, 3dKiwi.

• Topic Author
  • Hi 3dKiwi,

One complication I am observing with your proposal is that I have a single spline with thousands of segments, and I need to move thousands of emitters along each segment at the same time. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Is this possible?

Not easily.

Why do you need lots of emitters? Sounds you need a couple of emitters and the Tracer object (to create some trails / tails.

3DKiwi

No big deal using TP. You can create as many emitters as there are splines or spline segements and move them along the length of the spline over time.

This is not what i see in the video though. In the video i see particles moving within a restricted volume, while leaving a trail.

Please see the attached scene for a simple example on how to emitt particles along spline segments over time

Spline Segment Emitter Example.c4d

• Topic Author
  • No big deal using TP. You can create as many emitters as there are splines or spline segements and move them along the length of the spline over time.

This is not what i see in the video though. In the video i see particles moving within a restricted volume, while leaving a trail.

Please see the attached scene for a simple example on how to emitt particles along spline segments over time

@srek: Your example is great and seems to achieve almost exactly what I am after. Re video: there are no particles at all: it's a hair texture with a very short length (less than 1 %) which has its start position animated. What I am looking for is particles emitted from the same, but flying away. I am going to see how to modify your expresso so that the particles are NOT following the splines once emitted and fly away affected by a wind or a gravity.

Thanks.

Just change the speed in the PStorm node and adjust the emission angle to your liking.

• Topic Author
  • @srek: I added gravity, wind, geometry etc. Things seem to work. However, when I render on one machine (10.8.4, MacBookPro Retina, 8GB RAM, Cinema 4d R14) to files, Cinema repeatedly freezes at around frame 6. I tried it on my friends computer (10.7.5, Macbook pro, 8GB, Cinema 4d R14), and it seem to go past that (currently at frame 40). Do you see anything wrong with this project?

Project file

Thanks a lot.

Depends on your definition of wrong. @ fram 12 you are using about 100.000 particles and they get more with every frame. For display in the viewport alone you need more than 5 GB RAM.

Try to get away with less particles.

Cheers

Björn

• Topic Author
  • Depends on your definition of wrong. @ fram 12 you are using about 100.000 particles and they get more with every frame. For display in the viewport alone you need more than 5 GB RAM.

Cheers

Björn

Depends on your definition of wrong. @ fram 12 you are using about 100.000 particles and they get more with every frame. For display in the viewport alone you need more than 5 GB RAM.

Cheers

Björn

Björn,

I'll try that, although it is strange that 1) it freezes on one machine and not on another 2) when it freezes, Acivity monitor shows about 4GB usage by C4d, and the system has 8 GB. A question: does the size of the particle's geometry (in this case a disk) matter vis-a-vis memory footprint?

Thanks a lot.

Yes, it matters, except if you use render instances. 4G sounds like a 32 bit border. Is it actually a 64 bit OS you are using and are you sure you have started the 64 bit version of CINEMA 4D?