Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest woodbear

How Do I Import .mtl Files To My Obejct In C4D?

Guest woodbear
  • Topic Author
  • Hey, im kinda new to C4D and i downloaded an object witch had a .MTL file with it and i dont know how to import the .MTL file to my project.. i have tried riptide but i only get a message saying that it can only import wavefront .OBJ and .MTL files, does anyone know what that mean or could help in any other way?

Thank you so much in advanse.

The .MTL file is the materials for the .OBJ file. You don't need to import it or do anything with it. Just import the main.OBJ file using Riptide and if the model opens up with textures in tact, it worked. The native C4D OBJ Import does not use the .MTL file, so to get the materials/textures you need to use the Riptide plugin.

Guest Harrybee
  • Topic Author
  • Frank Willeke (aka C4DJack and creator of SurfaceSPREAD and SplineSPREAD plugins) created a python script to 'import' mtl files after an obj file was imported.

Here the link to his script: http://www.c4d-jack.de/site/en/downloads/cat_view/82-python-skripte.html

CU and have a nice day.

HUGE THANKS HarryBee!  That Python script was exactly what I was looking for. I still need to tweak the materials a bit more, but within minutes it's got me running now. Thanks again. :-)

Glad it helped ;-) 

Thank you very much Jack for this useful script! :)