Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest gudron

Viewport Lag

Guest gudron
  • Topic Author
  • Hello! 

I know, you guys might just say: "buy a better computer", but I've read that even people with some strong mashines have these problems.

I have a model that has somehwat 6000 polygons.

My computer's specs:

Macbook Pro 3.1 (mid 2007)

2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo

4GB DDR2 RAM

128MB VRAM

Mac OS X 10.8.4

C4D R14.

I have sometimes a pretty annoying viewport lag whenever I zoom/rotate/move the vieport camera.

This problem sometimes does occur, somtimes not.

And I'd like to know why.

- What has an effect on this?

- Why does the lag sometimes disappear after a reboot

- with...

- without cleaning with Onyx?

- What do I have to clean (like system cache) in order to get rid of it WITHOUT a reboot?

Thank you!

Guest gudron
  • Topic Author
  • Okay, some more information…

Just noticed:

C4D file was open all the time, when I've opened and surfed a bit in Firefox, opened some InDesign files, PDF's in Mac's Preview, used Mail…

And then, after closing InDesign, Firefox and Preview, the C4D viewport in that opened file started lagging again pretty much.

I know, you guys might just say: "buy a better computer"

LOL, nope. Buy a PC.

You haven't listed what the graphics card is. Are there new drivers you can install?

I reboot my computer every day. One reason is recover memory lost when applications have memory leaks.

3DKiwi

Guest Scottishcpt
  • Topic Author
  • You should probably fiddle with the Enhanced OpenGL options for the viewport or the OpenGL options for Cinema 4D.

Apple has a really wonky OpenGL stack that will actually offload certain operations to your CPU when the GPU can't handle it or doesn't support a certain feature. I know that there are certain situations where the OpenGL stack will report GPU capabilities outside of what the actual hardware supports, and if you go outside the physical limitations then the stack will start executing stuff on the CPU (which will slow everything down).

Beyond that, the only recommendation left is to either run C4D under Bootcamp (since you'll get better drivers under Windows), or buy a new computer. There is nothing to update in that regard under OS X, you're stuck with whatever kernel extensions Mac OS X ships with- and historically, those drivers have been pretty lack luster in performance on the laptop systems.

-SC

Guest EliasNM
  • Topic Author
  •  

LOL, nope. Buy a PC.

All I got to say as well, you have very little vram, your ram is DDR2, your system falls under the required, but fails the recommended, in other words, you need to upgrade to get less problems. For running C4D you need a decent amount of RAM and a good GPU to get good results in about everything nowadays. With what SC and 3DKiwi said are your only good options. If you are a "hardcore" Mac user/lover, buy one of the recent Macbooks or Imacs (you pick your poison) and if you still run into problems,

run C4D under Bootcamp (since you'll get better drivers under Windows)

Guest gudron
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you guys.

The video chip I have installed in Macbook Pro is NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT.

In fact, I'm having this workstation delivered: HP z400, Intel SixCore 3.2 GHz, 24GB DDR3 RAM, 2GB VRAM, NVIDIA Quadro 4000, Win 7 Pro, liquid cooling..
    All of that seems great, but I've read that there's no Quadro 4000 driver for C4D.
    How will that affect my workflow? Does it mean, C4D won't even start? Or work not properly? What exactly will happen between GPU's 256 cores and the CPU's 6 cores?
    Maybe I should just contact MAXON in this regard…

The quadro 4000 will work fine with CINEMA 4D, you don't need a special driver. Price/performance for the Quadros is pretty bad though, since they are overpriced compared to GeForce.

Edit: Beaten to it.

C4D will run fine with the Quadro card (my understanding). It just won't take advantage of the extra enhancements a Quadro card has.

That 8600 card is really old. Time you had a new machine anyway.

3DKiwi

Guest gudron
  • Topic Author
  • Another thing. What do you think about the SSDs? Does an upgrade from 1TB 7200rpm HDD to an SSD have any effect on speed when working within 3D apps, aside from launching those?

Guest Harrybee
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you guys.

The video chip I have installed in Macbook Pro is NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT.

In fact, I'm having this workstation delivered: HP z400, Intel SixCore 3.2 GHz, 24GB DDR3 RAM, 2GB VRAM, NVIDIA Quadro 4000, Win 7 Pro, liquid cooling..

All of that seems great, but I've read that there's no Quadro 4000 driver for C4D.

How will that affect my workflow? Does it mean, C4D won't even start? Or work not properly? What exactly will happen between GPU's 256 cores and the CPU's 6 cores?

Maybe I should just contact MAXON in this regard…

That could happen.

Maybe this thread in German in the C4DNetwork forum could be helpful.

(I assume you can understand the German language because our location is Cologne, isn't it? If not then you could use the Google translator ;-))

Here the link:

http://c4dnetwork.com/board/threads/82699-Architekturgras-Absturz?p=765299

CU and good luck.

Guest gudron
  • Topic Author
  • @ harry bee:

Thx for the link. Yes, I'm from Cologne, Germany. But I need to test my machine first - reading about other people's problems might not be necessary for now ;)

So, anone tried working in C4D on an SSD yet? Any difference?

Guest Harrybee
  • Topic Author
  • No problem ;-)

Regarding SSD.

I don't own such one but I see following advantages for C4D from pure logic point of view:

- Faster load of the program (you mentioned it already)

- Faster load of (big) textures / models etc if these are placed on the SSD (not sure if it makes sense to flooded your SSD with this kind of data)

- Faster swapping to virtual memory (if it's assigned to SSD) in case the RAM is full

(it's faster as for a standard HD but much slower as for real RAM. BTW: If C4D starts to swap on your 24 GB RAM system then there is something wrong with your C4D scene.).

CU ;-)