Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BigAl3D

New Mac Pro Specs Out

OK, so I'll start since I'd like to keep working on a Mac. The specs and prices came out today for a December release. I just don't know how fast these things will compare to what's out there now. Not a platform war, just some intelligent comparisons would be nice.

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/

Looks a little more expensive than I was hoping  but in-line with what I expected. I suppose I'll get one eventually, but probably not right away; maybe the second gen. (if there is one). 

My mode these days is to get a top of the line iMac every two years and keep a modest farm running in the background. When I was buying towers it was a new one every 3-4 years, (the problem I found with this method was that by the fourth year my main workstation would start to feel relatively slow.)  I'm still 8-9 months out from my next purchase, so I'm in the "wait and see" category. 

-mike

I agree that one should wait for the second round. Everything is so new and different. The first version is going to be the shake-out model. But nice to see the effort they've put into re-engineering the whole system around the heat sink. If it works, it'll be a serious game-changer. 

I think it's definitely a pretty exercise in engineering, however, a single Hexacore with just 16Gb RAM and 2 GPUs that have a lower compute capability than the consumer cards for $4000? This is a very, very different direction and, to be honest, I'm really looking forward to see how it pans out (expansion enclosures etc) but right now, that sounds crazy to me.

These are what I see as it's selling points:

- Small, very small!

- Quiet.

- PCIE storage (I doubt many have experience how awesome that is).

- Thunderbolt.

Proof will be in the pudding, look forward to seeing it reviewed.

cheers

brasc

So it appears the base version will be a quad-core with HT, and any variant after that will only be a single socket setup.

Im not sure why they have dual GPU's in it, because im not familiar with any popular software that uses dual GPU's. C4D certainly does not, and I dont think any other 3D package does either. I can only guess that the dual GPU's will be used by the new FCPX.

Something to think about.....   the PSU is only 450w. Im wondering if you would be able to configure it with a high end CPU, and the top high end GPU config? Seems like 450w is rather low to support all that. Perhaps these parts are "mobile" CPU's/GPU's????  Or perhaps theres a feature that automatically underclocks the CPU or GPU so nothing goes over that 450w limit????

@Vilandra - I was also wondering about the power supply, but then I thought about the fact that there aren't any moving parts in there minus the fan. I'm guessing the power to spin up a few HDs and power a big graphics card, Super Drive, etc. would require more power. I'm no engineer, but it's possible.

Also, the dual GPUs must be for drive multiple monitors. Says it can drive two 4k displays. That takes some muscle.

@Brasco - I too was a little surprised at the $3999 price BEFORE any BTO stuff. In fact, as luck would have it, I just found a PDF I made after spec-ing out a Mac Pro in April of 2007. You do get more to start with this time around. Interesting comparison.

post-38439-0-02931900-1382496160_thumb.j

Was just checking out the new OSX and one of the new features is a new calendar which looks at your location and calculates the drive time to the location of your next appointment, it then sets an alarm to notify you when it is time to depart for the next appointment. on your calendar.   Another thing I noticed is that iCloud now saves your user names and  passwords in the cloud and populates login forms for you.

Not about the Mac Pro, but interesting nonetheless. Is Mavericks available to buy already?

I'm really looking forward to see how it pans out (expansion enclosures etc)

All expansion happens externally over thunderbolt 2. All you need the internal 256GB SSD is for OS, Apps and maybe a VM machine (yea machine machine i know).  With the kind of work you'll be doing on this thing you better be connected to some sort of RAID.  They already said RAM is user accessible. What else do you need to expand on? Those video cards are all sorts of yummy goodness.  

Also, the dual GPUs must be for drive multiple monitors. Says it can drive two 4k displays. That takes some muscle.

Three 4K displays. 2 over HDMI and one over TB2

Was just checking out the new OSX and one of the new features is a new calendar which looks at your location and calculates the drive time to the location of your next appointment, it then sets an alarm to notify you when it is time to depart for the next appointment. on your calendar.   Another thing I noticed is that iCloud now saves your user names and  passwords in the cloud and populates login forms for you.

Then it can route it with the new built in maps app and share it to your mobile which is pretty neat.

Not about the Mac Pro, but interesting nonetheless. Is Mavericks available to buy already?

Mavericks is free to download now.

The base $2999 model sounds fantastic. Can't wait.

@Vilandra - I was also wondering about the power supply, but then I thought about the fact that there aren't any moving parts in there minus the fan. I'm guessing the power to spin up a few HDs and power a big graphics card, Super Drive, etc. would require more power. I'm no engineer, but it's possible.

I dont know any of the power consumption specs on the SSD, GPU's, or the main fan system. But the CPU is 130w. I guess perhaps in time we'll find out more about the other parts. :)

As far as the 4K displays, I believe some of the higher end NVIDIA and AMD GPU's can drive 4K displays, either through Display Port, or HDMI. Other than that, im still unsure of any other reason to have two of them.

Im also curious if the baseline D300 config will have the ability to drive three 4K displays, or will the user have to opt for the D500's or D700's. Im sure we'll find out sooner or later.