Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robotsim

"best" Gpu Renderer?

• Topic Author
  • Hey everyone - I was curious if anyone has had success with a GPU Renderer engine and/or plugin for Cinema 4D?  I've been looking around at Indigo, Octane, and iRay and just wanted to see if anyone has used and had success with one.

Thanks!

• Topic Author
  • Also, if I were to go a GPU rendering route, any suggestions/past experiences with GPU hardware?  From doing a bit of research, it seems a Radeon 797 GHz edition would perform pretty well for the price?

Edit: Upon further research, I'm starting to see that AMD is largely unsupported.  Looks like a NVIDIA GeForce would be good for Octane, and a Tesla would be good for iRay/Indigo?

Guest EliasNM

Hey everyone - I was curious if anyone has had success with a GPU Renderer engine and/or plugin for Cinema 4D?  I've been looking around at Indigo, Octane, and iRay and just wanted to see if anyone has used and had success with one.

I would say iRay (I'm a 3DS user, its already integrated) so I know from my standpoint it works as announced, I know there is a version for C4D by M4D but haven't had the need to purchase an third party renderer other than Vray and Maxwell (which are both CPU based renderers). Indigo first time I heard of it, don't know much about it. The other option mentioned here in the Cafe is Octane which needs CUDA cores, which leads me to explain why NVidia over AMD.

You could try Hardware renderer included in C4D which uses OpenGL which uses your GPU but I've never used it, so I can't say much.

Also, if I were to go a GPU rendering route, any suggestions/past experiences with GPU hardware?  From doing a bit of research, it seems a Radeon 797 GHz edition would perform pretty well for the price?

Nvidia is much better than AMD driver-wise and performance-wise in C4D. CUDA cores are a lot better from my standpoint I'm an Nvidia user as well as a previous AMD user and beta tester for both companies so having used both I lean towards NVidia which I recommend. I would say that NVidia's 560, 660, 670, 680, 690, 760, 780, 790,Titan are you best bet, especially if they are in dual/tri sli, quad sli is a bit overkill and there are few applications that actually use that many GPUs, for this type of rendering. Picking a GPU also depends on what GPU renderer you pick and what is recommended by the company to use with their renderer. Octane uses CUDA cores according to the demo downloads page