Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zmotive

2013 Mac Pro Buyer's Discussion

News from the bleeding edge:

Just got my new Mac Pro: 64 GB RAM, 3 GB on dual video boards, 1 TB SSD. First tests:

1. Out-of the-box and rendered existing C4D scenes. Speed increase not greater than 20%. 

2. RealFlow 2013 is crash city.

Not looking good. i'll post further more-detailed tests here as I perform them.

Hey djfilms — 20% faster than what? If you currently have a 2013 12-core tower, then I understand. If you're on a 2008 tower, then I'm bummed. How about rendering one of the stock scenes and posting the time and I'll do the same?

Guest carnold

Hi djfilms, you mentioned Ram/GPU/SSD but failed to mention what CPU config you have... the only thing that really matters for rendering inside of C4D. So if you have an 8-core and were comparing the speed increase from your previous 8-core let's say - then 20% speed increase makes sense as the latest intel chips never double or triple in speed, but have smaller % increases. But if you went from a 8 to the 12 core - then you should expect much faster speed increase as it would be rendering with 24 virtual cores compared to 16.

Anyway - I hope you didn't make the purchase expecting massive C4D scene speed increases in rendering. The dual GPU config is great for apps that support rendering on the GPU (and OpenCL only, not cuda) like Davinci Resolve, Premiere Pro and Final Cut Pro and Lux Render. C4d's Renderer is only CPU based.

Sorry, missed out key info: old MAcPro = 2010 12-core, new MacPro 12-core.

bigAl3D, Which scene would you like me to render? Excellent idea to compare. Where do I get such scenes? I don't see them in my MAXON folder.

carnold, I had hoped that a complete re-build from the ground up of the MacPro would show more than a lousy 20% speed increase in rendering for C4D.  I do realize that apps need to be configured/programmed for cores, etc, but jeez. The one unambiguously great piece of news is that in my recent Pink Floyd animation, I used a Poser figure cloned many times and complex geometry in the background. The old MacPro took forever to display and update the viewport. The new MacPro is very snappy in updating the viewports for such a scene. Blood pressure is reduced considerably. Bottom line: I'll need to learn all the tricks for faster rendering and use Vray, which uses OpenCL, I believe.

Now I'm really getting depressed. I took starter Vray scenes (so my ineptitude was not extant) and hit render. Results as follows:

- "boats on water dense fog", 720x240, Old MAcPro = 10 min 57 sec, New McPro 10 min 14 sec

- "bedroom_a", 1280x720, old= 1' 38", new = 1'39"

- "IES scene 2", 1280x720, old = 14", new = 14"

- "grass Vray hair", 1280x720, old =26", new = 25".

So where's the much-vaunted OpenCL? Am I expecting too much from the dual video boards each with 3 GB VRAM?

Guest carnold

If you are using VRAY in C4D, to my understanding it's only a CPU renderer. Inside of one of the Autodesk software's on the other hand where you can use VRAY RT it is OpenCL capable. See this link:

http://help.chaosgroup.com/vray/help/rt100/render_gpu.htm

If you want something GPU capable just to feel the awesome power of the dual gpu setup you have, download this: http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxMark

carnold,  Many thanks for the clarification. I had seen a Vray proof-of-concept demo at least a year ago, showing real-time rendering of the Colosseum.I took it to mean Vray itself. Maybe it was a promo for RT.  I'm downloading the luxmark... it may just cheer me up..... Thanks again! regards, David

Bring up the Content Browser and look for the Studio folder. Inside there you'll see Render. There's a bunch of scenes in there with varying degrees of difficulty. Since I'm on a 2008 2.8 GHz 8-core, I will probably see more of a jump than you.

And yes, as others have noted, C4D is a CPU renderer. The only benefit is a complex scene with big material where you need to move around easily or see textures, shadows in real-time. Even the Cinebench 15 only uses the one card.

BigAl3D, Here's my info for rendering the scene "SSS grapes.c4d" in the Studio folder in the content browser:

- 1024x435, all settings unchanged

- old MacPro 2x6-core: 3' 53"

- new MAcPro 12-core: 3'36"

Over to you.... :-)

Thanks for that. I assume you just opened the file and hit render to picture viewer right? I see mine rendered with Physical Render. That's what I did. Here's my numbers:

"SSS grapes.c4d"

— 2008 Mac Pro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Xeon:  8' 35"

(MacPro3,1)

Not sure I did the math right, but I think your Darth Pro shows a 58% speed increase compared to my system. That's music to my old-Mac ears, but since you already had a pretty fast Mac, you're not seeing as large of a difference. Would have been even better had they given us an option for a second CPU. Thanks for posting your test!

"Darth Pro" LOL!

Now we have some benchmarks. best regards, David

Guest Scottishcpt

I can confirm djfilms's scores:

2010 Mac Pro, 12*2.93hz cores: 3m54s

Too bad the nMP doesn't have an option for one less GPU and a second CPU. That would be a killer render rig if it did.

-SC