Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GaryAbrehart

Modo Vs C4D Modelling

• Topic Author
  • I keep hearing and seeing how C4D users are using modo for a lot of their modelling. I have been using C4D constantly for the past four years and find the tools do everything I want. Admittedly I haven't modelled intricate carvings or used the scultping tools (just started learning this) it's mostly hard surface modelling (vechicles, logos, packaging, buildings etc).

So for those of you that do use modo is it really that much better?

So for those of you that do use modo is it really that much better?

Sometimes. I've sold my modo licence as the modelling tools in C4D finally seem to be getting some love. While some of the modelling tools in modo are superior some of them are just awful. modo's guide system is dreadful. It's snapping system needs redesigning.

What is superior is: modelling falloffs (although Nitroman has just brought out a new falloff plugin that does more or the same), Pixar Sub-D's, Retopology, More flexible bridge tool (segments etc) plus a few others.

Hope this helps.

3DKiwi

3DKiwi nailed it down!

I also sold my Modo license!

• Topic Author
  • Are you both refering to C4D R14 or R15? I can see you both list using R15 but it's only been out two months…

Coming from C4D and using Modo, it sometimes feels like getting into a car and the steering wheel is on the other side. You're definitely not missing any must-have feature. Some of the tools I like better in C4D, and some I prefer in Modo. Personally I like Modo's interface better, though that's highly subjective. I can not wrap my head around the material system in Modo. I'm sure it has it's benefits, but I have yet to discover them. Setting up UVs in modo is a treat compared to C4D. Renders in Modo look nice and clean as well. I have yet to upgrade to 701 from 601, but I am holding on to my license because I'm curious to see where they take it now that they've merged with The Foundry.

Yes, we both were referring to R15!

...and yes, UVs in Modo are far better to setup than in C4D.

I also use C4D and Modo.  I started out in C4D and have been slowly migrating over to Modo, but to be honest though, I used both of them depending on what I'm doing.  I know Modo is praised for it's modeling tools but I still find it a little slow for me personally versus using C4D for modeling.  What I do love about Modo is the shader tree (which is really flexible), the UV tools, retopologizing and of course their renderer which kicks butt!  So my workflow is pretty much to model in C4D and then export to Modo for the rest.  Oh and I can't say enough about the stability of C4D versus Modo.  

Stick with C4D. Good things are coming :)

re modo's material system. Took me ages and a bit of money on tutorials to get the hang of it. Once sussed out it's very powerful. Problem with it, is it gets very confusing with lots of materials.

Yes, Modo's Shader Tree is very powerful, not to mention the flexibility in relation to the amount of UV maps you need to use, but it can become a mess if you are not really careful organizing it. Personally I prefer the way the Material Manager works in C4D and how you can organize with Layers.

• Topic Author
  • Stick with C4D. Good things are coming :)

You mean more to learn... Groan…

Meh, edge to edge or box modeling is so 2002 ;) These days it's all about sculpting and retopo, at least for character stuff.

I'm working on a job at the moment where I'm rigging a model that started off as a 3million+ point sculpt scanned from a real physical sculpture. That scan was sent to me as a ZBrush file which I used ZRremesher on to reduce and then Topogun to smooth out the flow. At the very end I spent about 5 minutes in C4D rerouting 4 edges using the weld points and connect points tools. The end result was a 5,000 poly mesh ready for rigging.

The poly tools in C4D or pretty much any other app are perfectly capable for 99% of needs but increasingly irrelevant IMO.

Cheers,

Brian

Eh. Poly/SDS isn't going away any time soon.