Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GaryAbrehart

Modo Vs C4D Modelling

I think MOI is a superb program and very easy to pick up. Great as a supplement to C4D plus reasonably priced. Check out my couple of tutorials on it, here at the cafe in the tutorials section.

3DKiwi

Just had a peak at your construction lines video (membership donation enroute) and it helped everything click into place for me. I'm a huge fan of the way that inferences work in Sketchup (inc inference locking) and Moi takes that concept up a couple of notches. In a strange way my intimate knowledge of the Sketchup way of doing things was getting in the way whilst assessing Moi but your video helped me to adapt that knowledge constructively. In many ways Moi is the perfect partner to Sketchup as it's workflow is very similar - accurate modeling through a fluid sketch like user experience.

It's also worth noting that I unfairly stated that the Moi documentation is lacking. I was using the wiki which is at least a year out of date but having downloaded the latest PDF it actually turns out to be highly approachable with lot's of specific examples for each tool.

I have a feeling that Moi will end up being a definite purchase when I come to the end of my demo period.

Just had a peak at your construction lines video (membership donation enroute) and it helped everything click into place for me. I'm a huge fan of the way that inferences work in Sketchup (inc inference locking) and Moi takes that concept up a couple of notches. In a strange way my intimate knowledge of the Sketchup way of doing things was getting in the way whilst assessing Moi but your video helped me to adapt that knowledge constructively. In many ways Moi is the perfect partner to Sketchup as it's workflow is very similar - accurate modeling through a fluid sketch like user experience.

It's also worth noting that I unfairly stated that the Moi documentation is lacking. I was using the wiki which is at least a year out of date but having downloaded the latest PDF it actually turns out to be highly approachable with lot's of specific examples for each tool.

I have a feeling that Moi will end up being a definite purchase when I come to the end of my demo period.

Glad my video was useful. What I did when I started out with MOI was to work through every example and function in the documentation. Took me about 2 weeks to do the entire thing but by that time I had a good understanding of how things work.

Cheers

3DKiwi

Final thoughts on this from me.

1. I'm completely sold on Moi as I love the simplicity of it's workflow.

2. The latest version of the OS X Rhino beta has implemented the unified window of it's Windows cousin (you need to activate it with the following command then relaunch Rhino "TestSingleWindowModeling") so I'm leaving it installed as it makes for a pretty fantastic file conversion/viewing utility (my main line of work is design/architectural visualization so I have to deal with a multitude of file formats). The Mac beta has at least another 12 months to go and whilst it's in beta it will continue to be free so no complaints there!

3. FormZ has a very designer friendly implementation of Nurbs that enables you to 'sculpt' with Nurbs in an interactive manner (very similar to working with C4D's mesh deform tools). It's visual boolean operations are ace too; but it's meshing capabilities aren't up to scratch so the exported geometry always renders with glitches in C4D. Moi comes to the rescue here. You can export from FormZ as IGES (so everything remains parametric), import to Moi and then use Moi to generate the final OBJ mesh.

Seeing as the office will be paying I'm now leaning towards getting both Moi & FormZ as they complement each other perfectly and by using them in tandem I can always be certain of getting great quality geometry into C4D. If budget is a consideration $300 for Moi is a solid recommendation, it's toolset may on the surface seem more limited than other Nurbs based applications but they're more than enough for most peoples needs.

Thanks for all that info jonmoore =)

Thanks for all that info jonmoore =)

Pleasure.

jm