Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSwartz

Zbrush To Cinema 4D Workflow

• Topic Author
  • I've posted this question on zbrushcentral but so far have no answers, so hopefully someone here has done the same thing.

I have modeled a bust in zbrush that I want to bring into c4d for hair, texturing and rendering.  I've tried a couple of export workflows.

1. Create and export a disp map through then zplugin mme.  Then export then obj file.  The disp map is a 32bit exr with adaptive, smooth uvs and 3 channels turned on.  In c4d I open the obj file and create a new material with the exr in the displacement channel.  The displacement has subpoly disp turned on as well as round geometry and the subdiv level is at 5 (it was 6 in zbrush and I heard to set it one lower than in zbrush).  While I do this I end up getting some displacement but it's nothing like what I sculpted.  I wonder if part of it is a scaling issue and I don't know if there's a setting in zbrush at which I should scale the object and map and export those and then in c4d, when the scale option pops up upon opening, what that should be set to?

2.  I thought the easiest way to do it would be the goz plugin but using this option simply sends the obj into c4d without creating any displacement channel in the material it creates.

So, if anyone has a good workflow from taking a sculpt that originated in zbrush and bringing it into c4d, I'd really appreciate any pointers.  Thanks!

• Topic Author
  • I think I may have finally figured out my problem.  I'm guessing that c4d doesn't work with 32bit displacement images? When I turned that option off and reexported as a regular psd all of my detail now seems to be coming through correctly.  Can anyone confirm this (c4d not liking 32 bit disp images)?

Guest Harrybee

Hi,

C4D can handle 32 Bit pictures in the displacement channel (or other material channels which has a field for loading pictures).

The openEXR format works very well in C4D but it could be that the exr format from ZBrush doesn't work with C4D, maybe you could try TIF as 32 Bit format

Please keep in mind that there are 5 different types of displacement in C4D displacement channel.

You need the right one and the right strength and maximal high in the displacement channel.

CU.

• Topic Author
  • Ok, thanks.  I noticed that if I changed the scale, it also changed how then displacement map worked on the model.  So, does anyone know how to determine what to set the scale to when opening the obj file exported from zbrush?

And yes, I tried all 5 types of displacement. 

• Topic Author
  • Also, can anyone confirm that GoZ works with R15?

• Topic Author
  • I was finally able to get goz to work but I had to clear out the cached files first (here - C:UsersPublicPixologicGoZProjects).  However, even after that, the mesh doesn't render correctly.  

Attached is an image showing the model rendered in modo on the left (using this method - http://henningsanden.com/2013/03/31/tutorial-zbrush-to-modo-32-bit-displacement/) and then rendered on the right with c4d using goz.  I played around with all the different displacement modes (intensity, intensity center, etc.) and also doubled the displacement distance but as you can see by the areas pointed out with the arrows, something just isn't right.  Why do I get these areas that make the geometry just bulge outward?  

When I look at the displacement map, it's a clean map so I don't understand why it won't render correctly.  I've tried both a 16 bit and 32 bit tiff displacement map exported from zbrush but get the same results.  Can anyone give any insight or suggestion on how to get this to render properly like the modo render?  I really want to finish this project in c4d because I hate modo's hair tools.  Thanks!

post-26272-0-09345200-1391112544_thumb.j