Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flippyfloop

What monitor setup do you use & why ?

• Topic Author
  • I'm currently changing my setup from imac to pc.

Looking into what type of monitor setup.

I was using my imac 27" but now trying to decide between a 27" or 2 x 24".

I thought I would go straight for 27" again because that's what I've been using for the past 3 years but I've been using a single old viewsonic 24" & quite like it. Text & panels are larger & find I'm not leaning forward to read stuff as much. Another 24" for viewport would be sweet plus if one monitor goes down, I can keep working.

Looking at Dell u2413 but hear that it has bad motion ghosting. Seems to be the case with all wide gamut monitors in this price bracket. Maybe one of these for colour specific tasks & another gaming monitor with low response time for motion ?

I will be using my setup for C4D, AE, PS & brush. Really into motion graphics, animation & compositing.

I seem to be going around in circles, so…… I would love to hear from you guys  :thumbsup:

What monitor setup & models do you use & why ?

I use a 27" for main C4D gui and an old 22" alongside for XPresso.

I strongly recommend the 2 x 24 option. Once you get set up correctly you will never go back.

I have three in use at one time.

The rightmost has nothing to do with C4D, it has my tasks, start bar, etc and then any internet activity I may need - like looking up things on the Cafe!!!!!

The center one has only the views, iether the four windows or one.

The left one has all the windows that I like to keep open; Objects, Attributes, Materials, Coordinates,Snap, and Help.

When you get set up correctly use Window>Customization>Save as Startup Layout and then every time your start C4D you will have that setup.

Like right now I am writing this on the rightmost screen and have C4D on the other two so I can refer to what I am writing about.

Don't overlook the possibility of using a newer TV as a monitor if your video card has HDMI output. Then you could use it as a tv when you are not working.

Ed

C4D Rel 15 Prime The more I know, the more I know I don't know.

30" Main and two 24", one to left (landscape orientation) and one on the right (portrait orientation). All three are Dell Ultrasharps.

2 x 1200p 24" Ultrasharps here. The reason I use multiple monitors is that it's just SO much easier to manage windows and multi-task. I like to have reference/briefs/emails/websites/movies/tv on one and another as a work/programs monitor. The only frustration I have is when using my Intuos, you can have it work with 2 monitors but it's horrible as horizontal sensitivity doubles too, I've found I don't use my double screen layout for C4D any more because of that.

I haven't jumped to 1600p as I'm finding 1200p plenty for the distance I sit and I want to see how 4K pans out. I'll be adding a 3rd 24" in the next couple of months as I'm finding 2 is just not quite enough for everything I have open at any one time.

Make sure to get a Spyder or similar to colour match them all, makes it a lot easier.

cheers

brasc

Also for anyone using the PC and using multiple monitors, I highly recommend Ultramon as your screen manager.Been using it for about a decade. It has some very powerful features that makes managing multiple monitors and applications a breeze.

Guest AlanBell

I use a 24 inch cintiq  and a 24" Dell on A windows gaming system. and I Love it Do all my want on the cintiq

• Topic Author
  • Model numbers of monitors would also be much appreciated  :thumbsup:

edited first post for request of model info.

Also for anyone using the PC and using multiple monitors, I highly recommend Ultramon as your screen manager.Been using it for about a decade. It has some very powerful features that makes managing multiple monitors and applications a breeze.

Ultramon looks great, cheers.

What Dell Ultrasharps are you using ? 2410, 2412, 2413 ?

I've got a U2410 as my primary and U2412 as my secondary, the colour on the 2410 is much better than the 2412, but if you're working in sRGB there's not much in it. If I was budget unlimited, I'd go with 3 x 2413.

Ghosting is usually anecdotal BS put up by the gaming community, I've literally never noticed a difference between my two.

edit: Win8.1 added most of the major Ultramon features by default if you're willing to swallow any hate for it.

I have a Dell Ultrasharp 2412 as my primary and an old leftover 19 flatscreen as my secondary (hey, its better than nothing... but not much). I am very happy with my Dell and plan on buying another 24" Ultra this spring. Agree with brasco about the ghosting and color calibrating, but I suggest calibrating all your monitors, not just the Dells.

Ain't none of us as smart as all of us.