Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flippyfloop

What monitor setup do you use & why ?

One DELL U2713H 27". Never liked multiple screen setups and find them very distracting....

After getting used to having all my pallets on a different screen it drives me nuts when I have to work on a single screen, even if it's a biggy.

K

Dual screen is the way too go. You get waaay more realestate than any single monitor. even a 30" 2560x1200. was working on one in a studio, and its just so much more comfortable on 2 screens.

I just use 2 23". got one LG IPS LED panel. Its just AMAZING and costs only $250. D2343 and has 3D  ( with glasses) if you happen to be making that. I still haven't got around to making anything 3d. But watching 3d movies is AWESOME! its not like in the cinema, where everything is flying in your face. It's more like having a window into a 3d world behind your monitor. Crazy feeling!

my second monitor is just a cheap LG 23" ( $120 i think) its colors are pretty bad as a the viewing angles, but i don't do any work on it. its just for holding c4d panels, help files, browser windows, so the colors or the viewing angles don't really matter.

Also thinking about getting this thing: http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/discoverlgmonitors/ultrawide.jsp

it looks super sweet. But i struggle to justify such spending on monitors, when i could be buying render cows, projectors or alcohol

:)

Win8.1 added most of the major Ultramon features by default if you're willing to swallow any hate for it.

I've yet to use Windows 8. Actually trying to make the move to completely OSX, but that's another story.

What "major features" are you referring to? After quick search on Microsoft's site, I couldn't find info about this.

Contextual taskbar, so windows/programs on that monitor will show on that monitors taskbar

Window management via WinKey+Arrows

Wallpaper spanning

It doesn't have the individual app profiles, but I never used them.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/21/enhancing-windows-8-for-multiple-monitors.aspx

http://www.howtogeek.com/111488/how-to-tweak-the-new-multi-monitor-taskbar-in-windows-8/

They tightened it up even more with 8.1, you can ignore the metro stuff, no one uses that on a desktop you just put it in desktop mode ("go to desktop instead of Start") and that's it.

cheers

brasc

Most of the latest Wide Gamut or 10-bit panels come with an sRGB profile that works well. It's always a good idea to have a good colour calibrator like a Spyder, but most, out of the box, easily cover sRGB.

That said, if you're only producing and working with sRGB content, I'd go with a standard display, I've only ever needed the 10-bit panel when I was doing print work and a lot of retouch, since then sRGB all the way.

cheers

brasc

I still have an Apple 30" Cinema Display as my main screen... These monitors are still far far better than the current 27" Apple offering IMO... the extra couple of inches in the height of a 30" screen compared to a 27" makes a big big difference to me... Whenever I find myself using a 27" screen at work, I always end up having to dock more palettes horizontally, which means less viewport space — not desirable !  My second screen is an Apple 27" Cinema Display... I've always hated the glossiness of this screen, but as it's not my main monitor, I can live with it, and it's a very attractive monitor... The reason I prefer the Apple 27" to any other is because it has a webcam and speakers built in, so no need for an ugly Logitech cam ... and frankly, I haven't yet seen a monitor by another manufacturer which isn't an ugly grey box, so really there was no choice in the matter... though I would consider the 30" NEC just because I like the size of the 30", and the 30" Apples still go for silly money on ebay !