Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Richy

Autodesk Softimage EOL

Guest Scottishcpt

Guess there's no chance of AD open sourcing it?

-SC

I suppose the Softimage community is still in shock, as I have seen no comments at CG Society site regarding the EOL of the product.

--Still trying to set up a cube properly... and failing--

Guest Harrybee

I agree that once is terminated, Autodek should open source it! At least it would give the chance to keep it alive somehow! 

Let me look in my crystal ball ..... No, it shows that this will never ever happen.

It's the old game: Buy the competitor if you have the money for that and then let his product die.

(Sure, there are some variations in this game, e.g. implement the good things from this product in your own product and then let it die)

CU.

I am really shocked by this..

its really quite sad.. ive seen lots of great work done in xsi and from what i see it has a really powerful node system.

i hope they make it open source.

such a sh*** move. they could've sold it. Im sure there would be takers.. maybe even MAXON could've implemented it to replace its aging thinking particles.

on the bright side it means all the xsi plugin developers will be looking for new software and hopefully they'll stay away from AD and come over to cinema :))

Howdy,

Well, I'm not at all surprised. The whole idea of Autodesk buying up all that other software was to eliminate competition. They had to keep XSI around for a while so it did not appear that their sole purpose was to destroy it. It's destruction was probably in the plans from day one. It was only a matter of time.

Open sourcing it would be counter productive to their goal of eliminating competition, so I seriously doubt that will ever happen.

Adios,

Cactus Dan

But maybe, just maybe they'll think about what's good for the community and what would make people happy.

Forget it. It's only ever been about $'s. They bought XSI so that no one else could. The writing has been on the wall for some time when the main developers were moved on. I doubt this news is much of a surprise for any Softimage user.