Workflow C4D -> ZBrush -> C4D

DeeJay

Hello fellow C4Dler!

I just posted this question in the ZBrush-forum but I think the people around here might be of better help.

So what's the problem?

We are thinking about integrating ZBrush into our production pipeline and there are still some points unclear regarding the best workflow for this.

I think it's best if I take a small example of one of our models.
Lets say we have modeled a little roboter in C4D which is approved regarding the modelling. Now we want to add some deformations/cracks on it using ZBrush.

For this we collapse the complete hierarchy into C4D (which means losing all flexibility), fire up GoZ and import the mesh into ZBrush.
So far so good (or bad if I consider losing flexibility).

To sculpt on this model I have to increase the subdiv-level.
This means that all chamfered edges also increase in polycount just to get a good subdiv-level on flat surfaces (which are just a few polys for a big surface). This results in a total unnecessary high polycount (in the wrong places).

So what should be/is the "perfect" workflow?

Is it like:
1. model in C4D until everything is good except for fine details/final subdivs
2. collapse the model, merge the single objects into one object
3. export to ZBrush
4. create polygroups & UVs
5. start the subdividing and sculpting
6. make some polypainting
6. export the mesh with higher subdiv-level (with all wanted textures) back to C4D?

I would be very thankful if someone pushes me into the right direction with this. Maybe there is some tutorial about this or another thread where all this have been answered already.

Best wishes and thanks!

David

The high polycount is dealt with by using displacement maps, that's a key feature of high density sculpting.

There's no perfect workflow only what works for the specific pipeline, but the one you listed is pretty much what I do except I include the Displacement maps instead of exporting a higher res mesh back in.

cheers

brasc

You have it correct more-or-less.  Your concerns about having to collapse the model into a single polygon object are unfounded though, and no need to export either.  Just use GoZ on each piece of the model to get them all into Zbrush, they'll come in as sub tools and you can work on them all individually.  When done, set your sub tools back to their lowest subdivision level, create displacement and normal maps and GoZ it all back to c4d.  There are plenty of tutorials on this workflow around the web, just google "GoZ c4d" and you should find what you need to understand the workflow.

Good luck!  Zbrush is an awesome app and a great companion to c4d!

Btw, have you tried the sculpting features in c4d studio?  They might be sufficient for your needs.  It's actually quite a robust sculpting toolset despite being so young in its development;)

-kvb

Hello!

Thanks for the quick answers. :-)

The reason for sending back a model with higher polycount to C4D is the need of chamfered edges (which I will create in ZBrush to avoid those high polycounts on the edges that I get if I create them before in c4d).

I know from the past that I have to use a subdiv-modifier inside Cinema to have the displacement-map work correctly. That's another reason to export the model with a little higher poly count than the original to avoid a "round" model.

I would like to use the C4D sculpting features but the rendering will be with Vray and cinema messes up the map-export. :-/

Cheers,

David

If you're getting unwanted smoothing you need to be creating control edges in C4D before exporting to Zbrush, the Bevel tool is more than capable now for adding quick control edges.

To ensure you're doing the right things to get it working with Vray (which is very different to the relationship between ZB and native C4D shaders), there's a good tut from Rich Nostworthy here:

edit: I should also mention, you might want to look into a workflow involving ZRemesher to get a clean lower poly mesh back into Cinema if the poly count is too untidy or you need more controllable geo.

cheers

brasc

• 3 weeks later...

-.- Its so awesome looking.
Not sure which im gonna smash my piggybank for: ZBrush, Octane or Thea :/

Octane weighs in at a reasonable 275 USD.
Thea is about 300 (390 USD for C4D Version)

Zbrush is 800 USD -_-

octane is 359 euro with the c4d plugin.

thea is 320 euro. for c4d version.

have to done comparison render in them? i havent had time to play with octane yet.  

re: zbrush: be prepared to be dissapointed if you can't draw =) 

i got 3d coat and and absolutely blown away by the possibilities, but find that now i really have to put in more time in learning to draw.. 

• 1 month later...

Hopping into my posting again as I still don't get the best workflow for hard edge models.

Take the following as an example:

post-170232-0-15767900-1399561600_thumb.

It's totally low poly, with some chamfered edges and a cut out hole.

The problem is that ZBrush is subdividing this model everywhere, which means the small chamfered edges will become some unnecessary polygon monsters in the end.

I tried to Zremesh this thing but this will result in a highpoly mesh as my basemesh.

How do I sculpt something like this in Zbrush?

Maybe the only solution is to subdivide it the way I like in c4d and then export it to Zbrush?

post-170232-0-15767900-1399561600_thumb.

-.- Its so awesome looking.

Not sure which im gonna smash my piggybank for: ZBrush, Octane or Thea :/

Octane weighs in at a reasonable 275 USD.

Thea is about 300 (390 USD for C4D Version)

Zbrush is 800 USD -_-

Hard to fault a Zbrush decision here - it's not like the native render engine is incapable.

If you still feel the need, you can get Octane or Thea later.

Archived