Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Mngereso

Is a Wacom Intuos Pro tablet good/better than a mouse?

Something nobody has mentioned yet (and I feel it's often overlooked in general) is how awesome it is to have a 3d mouse. Most of my work in C4D is done with my mouse (or tablet - I use both) in one hand and my 3d mouse in the other. My hand will come off the 3d mouse and move to the keyboard for shortcuts, etc., but for navigating around a model, I am super thankful that somebody invented a 3d mouse.

I use the 3d Connexion SpaceMouse Pro, but for moving around your object or scene, even the most basic 3d mouse is like night and day from just using a mouse/tablet. It's like the difference between trying to draw with a mouse in Photoshop and then learning how to use a Wacom tablet. Suddenly you realize what you've been missing! Same thing with a 3d mouse. These things are a must-have!

I use the 3d Connexion SpaceMouse Pro, but for moving around your object or scene, even the most basic 3d mouse is like night and day from just using a mouse/tablet.

I've always been interested in trying one but remember reading some threads of users having problems with it in C4D. Don't recall if the problems were with C4D or 3D Connexion. Have you experienced any issues?

I use the 3d Connexion SpaceMouse Pro

Looks like you would be controlling a SpaceShip!  

Did you have one or try one before before spending the $?

I use a mouse for modelling, scene building and animating tasks, and a tablet for painting and sculpting.

I bought a Space Navigator ages ago and it's kinda fun but speaking personally it doesn't help my workflow, at all, so I don't use it.

Mark

• Topic Author
  • I use a tablet for all of my computer use currently. My mouse sits in a corner gathering dust and my wrists thank me at the end of the day for that :)

Although tomorrow I'm getting a nice upgrade - a Cintiq! I've been doing a ton of drawing on the computer recently so I've wanted one for a long time, very excited to get it.

Cheers,

Brian

I've always been interested in trying one but remember reading some threads of users having problems with it in C4D. Don't recall if the problems were with C4D or 3D Connexion. Have you experienced any issues?

I've never had any problems with it. I can't remember if I used it in R11, but I know I've used it in R12-R15 (Studio) and it works great! I think I've only ever used it on Windows 7. Perhaps the users with issues were on Vista or Mac OSX

It's so much easier to move around my models! It works pretty well for moving around scenes too.

Looks like you would be controlling a SpaceShip!  

Did you have one or try one before before spending the $?

It does look super-cool. I love the blue, glowing ring around it as it sits on my desk.

It didn't cost me anything; I just told my boss that it would make my work go faster and, not long after, it arrived!

Modeling etc - mouse.

Sculpting, painting - tablet.

Although tomorrow I'm getting a nice upgrade - a Cintiq!

I'm always fancying one of those, very sexy, but I have to keep reminding myself that it's an awful lot of money for something that I'd only use occasionally. If I was a full time illustrator/painter I'd definitely get one, but as that's only a part of what I do the money would be better spent on a guitar of a mountain bike. They'd get more use.

K

• Topic Author
  • ^ Yeah, it is a bit of luxury of course if it doesn't get regular use but I draw a lot these days and do so for work now (I create pencil tests in a 2d app before heading into 3D which saves a lot of time ultimately for character work). So I feel I can justify it (my wife understands, put it that way, heh).

The stepping stone for me was a Surface Pro 2, I got one recently and drawing on that feels a lot more natural than drawing with a regular tablet for me but of course the small screen is tough to use for serious work. Great for sketching though and you can even run C4D on it.

Cheers,

Brian

The stepping stone for me was a Surface Pro 2, I got one recently and drawing on that feels a lot more natural...

Have you seen this one...

iPad, but same thing.

For me, the odd thing is, if this were just a hobby I'd probably get a Cintiq. If it's for work I'm ultra strict about what I buy so my kit is that absolute minimum I need to function. But a hobby, on the other hand, no need to justify any thing there, everything's just for fun.

Damn sexy, though. I might just crack on day!  :-)

K

• Topic Author
  • Heh, yeah I've seen that. I have a while before I get to that level LOL. I used to complain that I couldn't draw and one day last summer I decided I was going to draw every day and I've kept it since. I hated it at the start (it's tough when you are carp at something I guess!) but gradually it started feeling less like a chore and more like something I enjoy. Improvement is slow but I feel the benefit in my CG work.

Yeah they are pretty sexy alright :) I ordered the 22HD touch, I love the interactive zooming and panning with your fingers in apps like Manga Studio (great little app for drawing) on the Surface (which has a screen by Wacom on it) so it should be really nice on a 22in screen. It's also going to be the highest res screen in my studio as currently my main monitor here is only 1680x1050. That makes it tough to edit HD stuff sometimes so a full HD screen is a nice bonus for me.

Can you tell I'm excited about it? LOL. Been following the UPS tracker from Germany since last week..

Cheers,

Brian

I used to complain that I couldn't draw and one day last summer I decided I was going to draw every day and I've kept it since. I hated it at the start (it's tough when you are carp at something I guess!) but gradually it started feeling less like a chore and more like something I enjoy.

That's absolutely what it's all about. You've got to practice, practice, practice and then practice some more. Sometimes there's no more magic to it other than simple 'application'. It's something I'm trying to get across to my 8 year old at the moment. She's learning to play the guitar and the flute and sometimes I think seeing me playing something very complex does more harm than good, it looks like an impossible goal. So I've got to get across that I wasn't born being able to do this. In the beginning I was having trouble holding down a chord just like she is. And all I did was hold that chord down over and over and over again.

K