Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Mngereso

Is a Wacom Intuos Pro tablet good/better than a mouse?

• Topic Author
  • Yeah absolutely, I have the guitar background too which taught me the same thing, sure certain people have natural aptitudes in one area or another but really a lot of it is just putting the work in and doing so as consistently as possible. I love this quote from M.C. Escher :

Talent and all that are really for the most part just baloney. Any schoolboy with a little aptitude can perhaps draw better than I; but what he lacks in most cases is that tenacious desire to make it reality, that obstinate gnashing of teeth and saying, "although I know it can't be done, I want to do it anyway."'

I try to keep this in mind when I'm swearing under my breath at another drawing that didn't turn out quite as I intended :)

I hope your 8 year old sticks at it. If a kid at that age gets really keen on something they can learn so quickly once they get the basics down, they have so much energy for it. I've seen it in students and it's fantastic to watch happen.

Cheers,

Brian

The stepping stone for me was a Surface Pro 2, I got one recently and drawing on that feels a lot more natural than drawing with a regular tablet for me but of course the small screen is tough to use for serious work. Great for sketching though and you can even run C4D on it.

Im thinking of getting one of these. I have a galaxy note 10.1 and love drawing on it. but wanted this looks great, since i wont be limited to android.

how have you found c4d to be on this? Does it come to a crawl quickly? Can you work with a full character rig on it? ( the one from the presets)

what about sculpting performance?

• Topic Author
  • To be honest I just installed C4D on it out of curiosity and was pleasantly surprised that it ran at all. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be fun to do actual work in, for one thing it would bog down pretty quick I reckon with the graphic card and for the other the UI is TINY on a 10in screen, so it would be really tedious to work on for me anyway.

I tried Sculptris on it too and that's a little better because it has such a simple UI but it seems to crash quite easily, not sure if that's a Sculptris issue or the Surface, I usually use ZBrush for sculpting but I have my installs used up on two desktops.

What does run great is Manga Studio, which in the most recent version has had several changes to the UI to suit small tablets specifically, it's awesome for sketching. I also have Photoshop elements installed but that's nowhere as near as nice to draw with and again the UI is really fiddly.

I also found some of the 2D animation apps I use work quite well on it, up to recently I used Digicel Flipbook and last week I switched to TV Paint, both work great on the Surface but editing the timing gets a bit fiddly on the small screen. Definitely doable though, I've done some pencil tests for clients on it recently.

[Edit - just to add - one thing I like about the Surface is that it's not my desktop machines really, I see it as a different type of computer and I use it for different tasks. I kind of like that I don't have Maya etc installed on it (again that runs on it but a bit pointless) and instead I treat it as a sketchpad/ tutorial video /email / PDF&Comic reader. For those kind of things it's awesome and nice to be able to get away from the desk.

Cheers,

Brian

• Topic Author
  • Here's a 1000 words to illustrate :)

post-21967-0-14370100-1395229024_thumb.j

Cheers,

Brian

hm... so maybe it's not gonna be much of a bump from my note 10.1 apart from resolution.

main apps i wanted to use on it was 3dcoat, and Mischief.

I still think that the Morgan Freeman speed painting is fake....maybe i'm just jealous.

Does the surface pro 2 work well with pen pressure and everything?

I still think that the Morgan Freeman speed painting is fake....maybe i'm just jealous.

No, it's real. When you compare the fine detail to the original photograph it doesn't match.

K