Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crash

PC Build Advice?

• Topic Author
  • Hey all, so I'm looking into building a new PC.  Currently I use a 17" macbook pro for all my 3d work, and it simply isn't enough anymore.  I also have a 5 year old pc that is pretty worthless now.  The case and cpu fan might be okay to carry over.  I also have 2 22" monitors, but they are old and I want something bigger and better.

Anyways, I've never built anything specific for 3D and motion graphics so I don't know whats best or what I need to focus my budget on.  From what I've gathered I need a good cpu for rendering a good amount of Ram for AE and probably a good graphics card.  But its been awhile and i'm out of date on part knowledge.

My budget would probably be around $1500. 

Advice?

Although this tutorial by Shephard O'neill starts out talking about the new MacPro, his tutorial is about how the CPU and graphics card is used in Cinema 4D. It is well worth watching for anyone wanting to get the best C4D performance when purchacing a new pc or mac

How is the 780 for C4D though? The 580's are great, (which is what I'm using) but the 680's don't cut it.

Haven't heard much about the 780's. I'd like to know since I'm considering an upgrade.

• Topic Author
  • With that budget I'd buy a PC with a 6 core CPU, a GTX 780 and at least 16GB of RAM.

They are up to 780 now.  My old build has a GTX 260 haha.  

Is my budget enough to build a PC that works well, and renders faster with c4d? Better than my macbook pro?  

• Topic Author
  • What do you guys suggest for a monitor setup,  I'd like to throw the 2 22" monitors that I have and look into some nice matching 24" monitors.  

Depends on how much space you have, budget, etc.

I have 2 monitors. One that I work on, and one above it where I place reference images.

• Topic Author
  • Here's what I have so far(I don't know if this will work): http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingCart.aspx?Submit=view 

So I have the it 4930k at $579:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116939

EVGA GTX 780 at $529: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130951

That's only leaving me $400 before I reach my budget.  What should I change to lower the price, or should Is the performance so much better that I should try and stretch my budget.

I'm also looking at this monitor separate from the budget I set, from the reviews it seems pretty great.  I would probably use one of my old 22" screens next to it until I can purchase another one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260047 

The GTX 580 is performing very well for me still (I use 6k textures on my aircraft) - might what to get a 3Gig version of that card.

Mine is an Evga. True I'm thinking of upgrading, but only because I use crazy huge textures sometimes.

I'd go with the 580 if I were you and upgrade the card in a few years.