Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crash

PC Build Advice?

They seem to be sold out of the 580's.  What card would be close to an equivalent?

A 770GTX would be a good jump up if you can't manage the 780, try and make sure it's a 4Gb version too if you intend to do any GPGPU work.

cheers

brasc

A 770GTX would be a good jump up if you can't manage the 780, try and make sure it's a 4Gb version too if you intend to do any GPGPU work.

cheers

brasc

Thanks, I'll check it out.  Currently I don't do any GPGPU work but in the future I'd like to purchase Octane.  

Personally i got the LG D2343 and im SO happy with it. It just looks amazing! IPS LED, minimal

im also planning out a new machine, and mine currently looks something like this: 

ASRock Z77 Extreme4

i7-4770K

gigabyte gtx 770

CORSAIR 16GB CMY16GX3M2A1866C9

CORSAIR Obsidian Series 650D

samsung 840 evo

1tb blue

thermaltake 550w

But i have read that the 580's are better for CUDA rendering than the 6XX because apparantly they where artificially limited, to force people to buy quadro's... 

according to this, i should really find a second hand 580... 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-770-gk104-review,3519-22.html

I didn't realise the 770 was crippled like the 6xx series was, that's a shame. I have a 580 as my second card and it's fine, it's power usage is huge though as it's the Classified version, but it's done well for years.

cheers

brasc

i dunno i ussually buy everything new. but recently i bought a second hand galaxy note 10.1 and galaxy s2, and well i payed like 50% of retail and they work great and they are in good conditon ( i had a look at them before buying). Don't know how i'd test a gfx card, but i find the people trying to screw you are in the minority... 

most people selling stuff are people who bought a newer version and just want to recoup some money. 

adding them on facebook also helps. As you can verify that it's a real person and you might even have mutual friends.

I usually upgrade my graphics card every year and sell the previous model for 50% of what I paid for it and with 1 remaining warranty year (in EU we have 2 year warranties). Who ever buys my material never gets screwed but regarding 2nd hand items unfortunately that isn't always the case. 

@pBarrelas: your links on your homepage to c4d tutorials doesnt work. you get a 404 error.

Thanks for letting me know this but the link is working fine. Tested in several machines and browsers. I'm afraid this is happening in your end only.

Apologies for the OP, for the off-topic!

I usually upgrade my graphics card every year and sell the previous model for 50% of what I paid for it and with 1 remaining warranty year (in EU we have 2 year warranties). Who ever buys my material never gets screwed but regarding 2nd hand items unfortunately that isn't always the case. 

Wan't to sell me your old graphics card haha!  But I think I might take a shot buying a used one, especially because I don't plan on using any GPU renders for at least a year or two.  Do you guys know of any safe or more reliable places besides ebay, or amazon.