Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crash

PC Build Advice?

Although I've been working on Macs forever, I'm intrigued by the possibility of getting a little more speed. When you guys talk about building a PC, do you mean getting parts and DIY assembly, or ordering a model from someone?

If you are handy at all, it is easy to build one yourself and there are plenty of online videos to help. Just take your time and invest in an antistatic wrist strap. If you do not like to tinker then you can buy it assembled.

Ain't none of us as smart as all of us.

It's easy to mess something up - seating the processor for instance.

Better to have a shop assemble it unless you have money to replace something IMO.

Before you spend money on new monitors, look at the newer graphics cards. I got one that drives 4 monitors and just added one to the pair I already had. It can also drive the newer HDTV''s and I plan to add one in the future as a render viewer. C4D can handle it and I keep a lot of the palettes as well as help open.

Ed

C4D Rel 15 Prime The more I know, the more I know I don't know.

Thanks for the build info guys. I'm spending all my free time trying to get my C4D skills up, so I'd probably get it built. Anybody have good experiences with PC-building shops out there?

• Topic Author
  • Well thanks for all the advice everyone.  I should be purchasing all the parts within the next week or two.  I'm thinking I will start a WIP thread about my process with pictures and such, if that would be interesting to anyone.

• Topic Author
  • So I'm going to be purchasing everything today or tomorrow.  Here is the list.  I'm going over budget.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930k = $579

MB: Asus p9x79 LE = $230

GPU: EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 760 2GB = $259

RAM: G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2x8GB) = $189  probably will buy more in a month or so

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553001 those guys to go in my old Antec 900 2 case $67

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB = $154

HD: Seagate expansion 2TB = $89

PS: Corsair HX Series HX850W =$149

W7 = $99

Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" = $319

Total = $2,169 (Wristband, thermal paste, tools added)

Looks perfect.
    Although the Power supply is overkill. A 650w would be fine for that build. I hope you plan to knock the CPU up to 4.2ghz or so. Don't need to do it straight away though, let it run for a week or so at stock to check it out.

C4D R19 Studio, Octane 3, Mudbox, Z-Brush, AE, PS etc

• Topic Author
  • Looks perfect.

Although the Power supply is overkill. A 650w would be fine for that build. I hope you plan to knock the CPU up to 4.2ghz or so. Don't need to do it straight away though, let it run for a week or so at stock to check it out.

Thanks! I'll swap it out for something else, I wasn't sure what I was doing there.  

I was planning on overclocking at some point...after I learned more about it.  I have a xigmatek dark knight cooler from an old build.  I figured it work fine on this build for overclocking.

EDIT: Changed to a 650w and switched to 32GB of ram.  I'm sure Ill be happy with that decision!

• Topic Author
  • So all my parts arrived.  I went to take apart my old build to reuse the antec 902 case and heatsink and have never seen so much dust in my life.   After a failed attempt of cleaning that sucker out I decided to scrap that idea and buy a new case and cpu.  I figured it wasn't in my best interests to put all this new hardware into an old dusty case.

Here's what I bought:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119260

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

So the wait continues.