Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Scottishcpt

Rigging splines...

Guest Scottishcpt
  • Topic Author
  • Bit of a generic question here...

Is there any reason why you wouldn't want to weight and rig splines?

I have noticed that you can apply a weight tag to a spline (assuming the number of intermediary points is set to "none"), add joints to that spline, then make the spline move with a Skin deformer. The extension to this is that I'm trying to "rig hair"- by weighting individual groups of splines which are then used as guides to clone hair across (in "Spline 2D" mode). This seems to work exceptionally well, even if it's a bit heavy in the OM.

Anyways, apart from VAMP not working with spines (you can't transfer weights from a polygon object to a spline object), is there any show stopping reason why weighting splines would be considered a very bad idea?

-SC

Guest darby
  • Topic Author
  • I'm curious, what is the benefit of this workflow for hair?  I'm kind of a noob when it comes to both rigging and hair but I'd love to hear more about what you're working to achieve.

Guest Scottishcpt
  • Topic Author
  • I have no idea what the benefits are. I'm not here to justify the workflow or sell you on the idea. It seems to work, and I was more or less asking if weighted splines working are intended behaviour or if this is subject to change (and break) in future versions of C4D. There are numerous ways of modelling hair, you really have to try them all and figure out which one works best for you. My situation calls for hair that moves with joints, and this seemed like the easiest way to achieve that effect (there are other ways of doing this, but they're pretty messy, tweaky as hell, and require more work to setup).

-SC

Howdy,

Rigging and skinning splines is a very useful work flow, not just for what you're trying to achieve, but for a lot of other things, too.

This is one area where my plugins shine.  :wackywink:

Adios,

Cactus Dan