R16

adamfilip

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nigel and other beta testers, if this doesn't cross the NDA regarding the R15 beta, what was your reaction when you first got to play with the revamped bevel tool? (been meaning to ask this for some time)

what was your reaction when you first got to play with the revamped bevel tool? (been meaning to ask this for some time)

Oh wow!! Pretty sure this was also the time I sold my modo 701 licence when I felt comfortable that the modelling tools in C4D were finally getting some love.

Re tablet. My Intuos 3 tablet pen has a right click / left click button. Running Windows 8.1

I don't recall talking this release up. I wouldn't do that as it would be inappropriate plus if I was then no doubt some people could end up being disappointed as it hasn't got XYZ feature that they were hoping for.  I think what I have said is words along the lines of "Cinema 4D's best days are ahead of it". By that I'm talking about a time frame of more than 1 release cycle. If you think I'm referring to R16 then you're wrong.

What have been doing is when one of the next version speculation topics comes up is being a smart alec and teasing people. This is meant to be all good natured.

You should be a politician.  :wackywink:

Couple of things here:

1) Whenever feature discussions come up and people are frustrated about something missing, and you say stuff like "be patient... best days are ahead", surely you must realize  that virtually everyone is going to take that to mean you know something about an upcoming release (that we don't), that would address the feature(s) in question.

2) By definition, at any point, after any release except the final release, the "best days are ahead," so that's a lot of positive talk signifiying nothing, basically. The only possible exception to this would be if they took a wholly different direction and removed a lot of important features, in which case the best days would be behind us. 

Based on what you're saying we could get another modest / maintenance type release, with none of the major needs people have spoken about for a couple years now, and you might still be saying "best days are ahead".  :confused: 

My humble suggestion: if your comments are not (even vaguely) referencing the next release, when hoping that people will be more patient, more open-minded, etc... it would be better not to make those comments. Because there's no substance to it. It's like what I would expect MAXON PR personnel to say if they posted in here. "Working on a lot of great stuff in upcoming releases / you'll see a lot the next few years." Which would of course be exactly what they say every year, regardless of how big or small an upcoming upgrade is. 

Not just MAXON obviously, many developers, but stil... common. I got no problem with you abiding by your NDA (I do the same thing with other products), but then dropping vague hints and future references is kind of pointless in that case isn't it?  :)

but then dropping vague hints and future references is kind of pointless in that case isn't it?

Yes it is. In future think I'll just say nothing and sit back and enjoy the wild speculation. Mind you I don't think what I've been saying is vague hints. If you think it is, you're wrong. How can I know what's coming? Beta testers only know what's in the upcoming version that they are testing. R17 for example I have no idea of what's in that.

Yes it is. In future think I'll just say nothing and sit back and enjoy the wild speculation. Mind you I don't think what I've been saying is vague hints. If you think it is, you're wrong. How can I know what's coming? Beta testers only know what's in the upcoming version that they are testing. R17 for example I have no idea of what's in that.

OK I thought we were on the same page, but you're bordering on disingenuous now. I'm sure I'll get flogged by everyone here because this is your forum and of course you do tons of good things here every year with tutorials and tips and keeping order -- all of us appreciate that for sure so I'm not trying to disrespect you.

But by definition, what you've said are vague hints. "The best is yet to come", from someone who everyone realizes is a beta tester, months ahead of the next release... in prior thread(s) where people were showing concern for a lack of innovation on MAXON's part and talking about the next release... the math is not complicated here.

I wasn't referring to this particular wild speculation thread (I agree these are pointless -- for all software that don't provide "sneak peaks" from the developer), but rather other threads months past about what people would like to see, and discussing actual features and disappointment in prior releases. I'm not even saying you had any negative intent (of course not), you were just trying to keep the threads positive, but common. You may not have intended them as such but to the non-beta-tester having doubts and discussing would-be features, any comment like that from any tester is a typical "I wish I could tell you what I know but I can't" thing.

Also if you plan to enjoy wild speculation about any software, I recommend having a lot of beer on hand; it will make it easier.  :wackywink:

PS - Congratulations Germany!

Most of what I've said about the best is yet to come has nothing to do with me knowing what's in the next version. It's me speculating on things to come based upon the big increase in developers that Maxon has been hiring. This information about hiring new developers has been made public by Maxon staff themselves in forums and by the job ads they've placed. These extra people must be doing something interesting!!

Most of what I've said about the best is yet to come has nothing to do with me knowing what's in the next version. It's me speculating on things to come based upon the big increase in developers that MAXON has been hiring. This information about hiring new developers has been made public by MAXON staff themselves in forums and by the job ads they've placed. These extra people must be doing something interesting!!

Fair enough. It's the internet, misunderstandings happen but in any case I hope you are right about the developers doing something interesting and I hope it's sooner rather than later. I don't know when this hiring or creating of a larger team began but we've gone a few versions now without what I personally would consider to be a major innovation in workflow or overall capability. Plenty of very useful refinements (Bevel tool, Text/Font tools, etc) but not innovation strictly speaking.

Maybe R16 will be a game-breaker, Gotze style. What a goal. Still shaking my head at that one when I see it.

Actually I'm not looking for that much innovation, I just want areas that are well behind other apps be brought up to match or surpass them e.g. material node system, UV editing, painting, more modelling enhancements. Oh yes, be faster and be able to handle lots more objects. Once all these that I would called basics are addressed then they can get innovative.

Actually I'm not looking for that much innovation, I just want areas that are well behind other apps be brought up to match or surpass them e.g. material node system, UV editing, painting, more modelling enhancements. Oh yes, be faster and be able to handle lots more objects. Once all these that I would called basics are addressed then they can get innovative.

Sure. I guess there's some grey area there as well. Example: I would consider a home-grown nodal materials system to be innovative, even though others have their own system. Basically something newly developed that redefines some substantial portion of the workflow in a big way. 

Agree though that performance (see also GL and OpenCL where applicable) are big, as are further modeling enhancements. But boy, a real Fluid Dynamics system that does not cost and Arm and a Real Flow sure would be nice. Again I'd call that innovation even though variations on the idea exist elsewhere. Would be very tough to do anything truly novel or original in this space, at this point. I think makers of a lot of Hollywood 3D and effects software have ensured that already.

What Maxon are very good at doing is when they decide to upgrade something they usually do a great job e.g. new Bevel tool, dynamics. So if and when a material node system comes it should be a ripper.

Archived