Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Geezer

New i7-5960X 8-core reviews are out--thoughts?

• Topic Author
  • Yes, I've been waiting for this one. Why? It's time to do my first custom build.... So, first, I've included some links for reviews on the 5960x, as well as specs for my soon-to-be build. Of course I would like your input.I am a hobbyist, but spend a lot of time with Cinema. Current system is an off-the-shelf Dell XPS i7-4770, etc. It's been fine, but am looking to custom build (should have done that last year instead of buying the Dell...) 

At any rate, here it goes...

Reviews: 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-5960x-haswell-e-cpu,3918.html

http://techreport.com/review/26977/intel-core-i7-5960x-processor-reviewed

My build list:

CPU: i7-5960X

Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme 3 ATX

RAM: 32 GB DDR4

Storage: 240GB SSD, 2TB Western Digital 

GPU: GTX 780 6GB

Case: Corsair 760T ATX Full Tower

PSU: 860W

Cooling: Corsair 77.0 CFM liquid

My budget is US$3500-ish, and this comes out to around $3,300. Anything that I should tweak?

Thankee.

Needs more cores!

Seriously though, I wish there was a 10 core option. The performance gains offered by the 8 core aren't significant enough over my existing 3930k OC system to invest in (and I've had that system for 3 years or so). Maybe I should just get a dual xeon box and have done with it. 

• Topic Author
  • My main concern is not getting suckered into hype, which is why I posted. However...Cinebench scores (according to one of the reviews) were nearly double what I currently have (i7-4770.) I really regret buying an off-the-shelf Dell last year. I want to build a custom that actually lasts a few years....

Still only on a 6 core i7 990x, and whilst that 8 core looks nice I just dont think its enough of a performance jump for me personally.  I was really hoping for a bit more with x99 so I think I will wait on the next chipset revision before making a change.  That and DDR4 prices are a bit wild atm.

ten

At stock, no thanks, I couldn't handle the terrible (terrible was too strong) lower single core speeds. If it overclocks on a simple W/C loop to 4.5+ with 32GB of RAM, I'm in.

Your system looks good to go, nothing I'd change apart from mobo, I just prefer the OCing on the ASUS boards.

cheers

brasc

• Topic Author
  • One reviewer had it overclocked to a stable 4.6. I'm no hardware expert, but it seems worrisome to overclock so high when doing, say, a 15-hour render. Is this a real concern? Can OCing overheat or burnout a CPU? Noob questions, I'm sure.....

Modern CPUs have many many safety features that cut it out if temps hit dangerous/damaging levels, that said, you'd want to keep it below 85C for heavy use. 

If you've not OC'd a chip before, a $1K one might not be the best one to start with. This is of course anecdotal, but I've overclocked my last 5 and never had a failure (and hopefully won't). That's having had them frequently run 48hr+ renders. Keep the temps and voltage under control and you're golden.

My issue with the lower clock speed is that with what I do, 60-70%+ of my work is spent using single core bound features (modelling/texturing/animating etc) and the rest spent rendering, so I don't want to downgrade the single core speed from my current 4.4Ghz Hexacore just to get better rendering speeds as I can cope with that for now (~15% slower rendering vs the 8-core at stock).

You will feel a decent bump going from the 4770K in rendering, simulating and anything multi-threaded, just don't expect the system to feel much snappier than your Dell XPS in everyday tasks.

I need to read more into DDR4, throughput looks really good, so for things like After Effects and Photoshop it'll be great.

cheers

brasc

You may

Needs more cores!

Seriously though, I wish there was a 10 core option. The performance gains offered by the 8 core aren't significant enough over my existing 3930k OC system to invest in (and I've had that system for 3 years or so). Maybe I should just get a dual xeon box and have done with it. 

You may find this site of interest:  http://ark.intel.com/Search/Advanced

While there are no 10 core i7's on this list, there are more Xeon processors with cores above 12 than I had originally thought.   I saw one 18 core E5-2699 v3 to be launched soon !

I wonder if they are dedicated to servers though?

Will C4D run on Win Server?

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

HP already announced a 2x18 Core Workstation. At MAXON we had a chance to thes a 4x18 Core server, seeing that thing rendering is like watching a timelaps :)

Don't be to enthusiastic though, the high core Xeons come with low base clockrates, so they will not be nearly as fast in the editor as a 4GHz i7 with only 4 cores. For rendering though they are brilliant.

• Topic Author
  • Well, I went ahead and built the system...whew! 

The only change that I made was the mobo (I bought the Asus x99 deluxe instead). My Cinebench score for the CPU nearly doubled from my 4770: it was 746, now it is 1322, without overclocking.

I do have one more question: I upgraded my GPU from a GTX 660i to the GTX 780 6GB, but I had expected my OpenGL score to improve a bit more than it did: it was 124, now it is just 153. This seems awfully low. Is there a setting that I should adjust? Am I getting the most out of this thing? 

nope, openGL performance doesn't improve. It's a real bummer. I wish c4d switched a directX engine ( but mac, bla bla, compatibility). 

Then again its not a real issue anymore, because the bottleneck is object handling on the CPU, not really the video card. 

But on the bright side, if you decide to use a GPU renderer or a simulate stuff with turbulence FD then that 780 is gonna SCREAM!

otherwise if you check the cinebench scores here on the cafe, the GPU have minimum effect.