Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Geezer

New i7-5960X 8-core reviews are out--thoughts?

Really nice system ,that'll serve you well for years to come ! Gotta overclock though, once you've had it running a week or so.

On the plus side of the new GFX card, all that extra memory on the GPU will let you display loads of high-res textures in the viewport. And if you ever use one of the GPU render engines, should let you handle decent sized scenes, too. I'm not sure if more GPU memory is of benefit to the sculpting or if it just uses system RAM.

C4D R19 Studio, Octane 3, Mudbox, Z-Brush, AE, PS etc

HP already announced a 2x18 Core Workstation. At MAXON we had a chance to thes a 4x18 Core server, seeing that thing rendering is like watching a timelaps :)

Don't be to enthusiastic though, the high core Xeons come with low base clockrates, so they will not be nearly as fast in the editor as a 4GHz i7 with only 4 cores. For rendering though they are brilliant.

Two E5-1650 V3's will solve that problem.  Each is a 6 core, 3.5 GHz Xeon with a 3.8 GHz turbo speed.  Get two of these together and I think you will have the best of all worlds.  

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

Would this motherboard work for a dual cpu setup and the i7-5960X?

No, the i7 does not work in a dual socket system.

I find cinebench scores a bit uninformative.. i prefer to time the render on my i73930K at 4.169 Ghz and a CB of 1065 i get the bench to run at 39 secs.. what are you getting

Cinebench scores are directly connected to the rendertime. The real difference is that the scoring makes sure to not take any load times etc. into account that would skew the result.

Two E5-1650 V3's will solve that problem.  Each is a 6 core, 3.5 GHz Xeon with a 3.8 GHz turbo speed.  Get two of these together and I think you will have the best of all worlds.  

Dave

Sadly it won't, the 1650 is for single socket systems only. You would need a 3.4 GHz 2643.

Intel has three lines of Xeons, E3, E5 and E7. The E5 are the mid range server and workstation processors and you can get the 1xxx for single socket and the 2xxx for dual socket use.

The E7 series goes from 2xxx for 2 sockets up to 8xxx for 8 socket systems. The E3 series is only available for single socket use.

Cinebench scores are directly connected to the rendertime. The real difference is that the scoring makes sure to not take any load times etc. into account that would skew the result.

True but for me i prefer to test with a stopwatch... call me old fashioned

True but for me i prefer to test with a stopwatch... call me old fashioned

Nah, i'll call you imprecise ;)

paulselhi you could relate the cinebench score directly to a stopwatch time like so

Lets say cinebench of 10 gives a time of 60 sec

cinebench of 20 should give a time of 30 sec.

cb 40 = 15 sec.

and so on

the equation becomes

time = cb new x (time old / cb old)

Just to clarify why MAXON bothered with CB scores instead of time at all.

Over time the Benchmark Application itself has to change to reflect changes in technology and progress in software development.

With every new Cinebench release MAXON changes the scale of the CB results so they become incomparable to earlier versions.

We had the case with a couple of print and online magazines that used the rendertime, which was displayed in older CB versions, instead of the CB result values in their publications.

What happened was that they totally mixed up results from CB R9, R11 and others, leading to a complete mess of incomparable results. In the end the user had no way of knowing what the time results shown in those magazines actually mean. That's why MAXON decided to not display the rendertime anymore and we also push those magazines strongly to drop the invalid comparisons.

In the end comparing rendertimes was a huge disservice to users, that's why i am a bit outspoken on the topic :)

Cheers

Björn