Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Geezer

New i7-5960X 8-core reviews are out--thoughts?

paulselhi you could relate the cinebench score directly to a stopwatch time like so

Lets say cinebench of 10 gives a time of 60 sec

cinebench of 20 should give a time of 30 sec.

cb 40 = 15 sec.

and so on

the equation becomes

cb x t = y

in the example above y = 10 x 60 = 600

you can then rearrange it to solve for t or time like so

t = y / cb

in other words

time new = (cb old x time old) / cb new

Edit: srek quote of mine has the wrong equation.  I realized this just after posting.  He is right though that R15 benchmark should only be compared to R15 and R11.5 to R11.5.  Render speeds are different for the same scene depending on the revision of c4d being used.

Well for me using the same CB  i get a good feel for the benefits of an overclock not by CB scores but by using my stopwatch. If i overclock the fu*k out of my cpu but only get a 3 sec improvement i have to decide if it is worth it or not. If some one tells me, using CB 15 they get a render in 29 secs as compared to my 39 secs i know it is a reasonable improvement but then if the kit upgrade is £2000 i have to think about it

• Topic Author
  • I'm still relatively new to all this--I think my original post reflects all this. I can't say I really "enjoyed" doing a custom build (my first), but I do think it is something everyone should try once. 

At any rate, a big reason that I bought the 5960 was for OCing. This worries me in that I have absolutely ZERO experience OCing. I did some research on Intel's site last night, installed and ran the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and my CPU temps hover around 60-62c at 100% CPU usage. I guess I am paranoid that after spending US$1k on a CPU I may shriek with horror if the CPU suddenly explodes or melts or, well, dies. The x99deluxe mobo seems to be well built for OCing (the OC switches and whatnot)--does anyone have advice about performing a first and successful OC? Any articles that you especially recommend? And, if I setup it up properly can I just leave it at those specific OC settings and continue with my daily work, or should I bring them back to stock once rendering is finished?

Thank you in advance from Planet Noob...  

At 62°C you can run your system 24/7 without problems. All modern CPUs are very fail safe regarding over temperature. If cooling fails they just start to clock down, in worst case, loose cooler, your system will become unusable slow, but it will not be damaged.

Personally i try to keep my system below 70°C for extended periods of time, but for short periods even 90°C wouldn't be damaging.

Just out of curiosity have you managed to Cinebench that new system - I would love to see the score :-)

On a slightly older 6 core x980 3.33 at the moment which is ageing a bit. I don't have it overclocked cos the last machine I had that was overclocked didn't play nice in C4D. I prefer faster clock speed to more cores since I do more animating than rendering.

• Topic Author
  • I've been tweaking the system here and there, still getting used to it. A few days ago I started overclocking the system to 3.9GHz (seemed safe enough), and, well, it has been great. The system stays plenty cool, render speeds are excellent (compared to what I'm used to.) For me render times are key--like others, I can't tolerate waiting for a render to take 16, 24, 36 or ? hours to finish. Bah! (And yes, I can be a bit impatient on the freeway as well...)

Here are the scores:

CPU: 1516

OpenGL: 170.73

:thisrocks:

Wow! That is much better than I expected. My machine achieves these scores:

CPU: 796

OpenGL: 82

That's with a nVidia GTX 460 which is a bit old now. I suppose I could overclock the system (it has water cooling) but I guess I could only get it to score 1000 on the CPU? The impressive bit on your machine to me is the GPU 170 fps.

• Topic Author
  • Initially the GPU score was 153, which wasn't (in my opinion) a huge jump over the score of my previous 660ti. I suppose the OC helped it as well. I'm still pretty new to much of this--this is my first system build. Glad I did it, but not sure I want to do it again anytime soon.... But I am happy with the results and I expect this build to last me a few years...

I did a render last night which took nearly 9 hours for 180 frames; with my previous setup I'd still be waiting--until sometime this afternoon for it to finish....