Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adamfilip

vray vs R16

Brasco... speaking of rendering that takes forever to complete that last 20% of quality (noise reduction)...I'm getting a taste of it with the c4d physical renderer churning on this interior scene.

Only, unlike Octane, it wasn't lightning fast to achieve even the first 80%. I'm 1 hour, 5 minutes and there is still noticeable noise on the stair railing.

C4d Phys took about 6 minutes to get to a rough preview. It's taken another hour since...on pass 9...but still not what I'd call finished.

(Using dual core, 16-thread 2009 Mac pro)

brasco have your tried Presto MC mode in Thea Render?

I find it to be way faster than Octane's PMC mode, which would be the closest comparison to Thea's Presto MC mode.

Brasco... speaking of rendering that takes forever to complete that last 20% of quality (noise reduction)...I'm getting a taste of it with the c4d physical renderer churning on this interior scene.

Yeah, that doesn't sound good, I'd imagine there's something going wrong with the GI?

brasco have your tried Presto MC mode in Thea Render?

I find it to be way faster than Octane's PMC mode, which would be the closest comparison to Thea's Presto MC mode.

I haven't yet, sounds good, I'll download the demo and try it out. Does it sacrifice anything in that mode?

In Octane, I mostly use Direct (with diffuse GI) or Path Tracing if I want better raytracing (still not as good physically correct as PMC) and hone the settings to suit.

cheers

brasc

I think as of right now displacement and hair does not work with Presto.  The hair and displacement would have to be made into geometry before hand.  Presto AO might be worth playing around with as well.  I mention it because you said you had 3 video cards and it's a great one especially if you have GPU power.

I haven't yet, sounds good, I'll download the demo and try it out. Does it sacrifice anything in that mode?
In Octane, I mostly use Direct (with diffuse GI) or Path Tracing if I want better raytracing (still not as good physically correct as PMC) and hone the settings to suit.

I'm a big fan of Thea myself and prefer it to Octane for GPU powered renders (although in truth I still prefer Thea in pure TR1 unbiased mode). The MC renderer running in hybrid mode (GPU & CPU) provides Maxwell like unbiased quality but with very little in the way of GPU compromises on quality. A biased engine like V-Ray is still quicker but Thea offers a great solution for many situations. The AO mode is super quick and usable in certain situations but it cuts too many corners for my taste.

This benchmark PDF is pretty fair in it's description of Thea performance with the MC engine.

http://www.thearender.com/cms/images/edition13/TheaPrestoGPUCPUBenchmark.pdf

Definitely worth downloading the demo. The only caveat I'd add is that the C4D plugin isn't as great as it could be as yet and it's often best to export to Thea Studio for rendering at this stage.

jonmoore have you downloaded the latest Thea for C4D plugin and tried it in the Darkroom in C4D under Plugins > Thea > Darkroom?

It's got real time updating now.  It's really cool.

have you downloaded the latest Thea for C4D plugin and tried it in the Darkroom in C4D under Plugins > Thea > Darkroom?
It's got real time updating now.  It's really cool.

Splendid news. I'll get on the case and give it a try.

Thanks for the tipoff.

Are you guys using it primarily for animation or stills? Can't find many full animation projects using it, a few camera animations but not so much object anims.

cheers

brasc

If we're still talking about Thea it's definitely best on stills from my experience. But I'd never use Maxwell for animation work either and I view Thea & Maxwell as peas from the same pod.

That comparison helps me place it a lot thanks, I will still give it a go though.

Thea has been used for animations.  It just has such a small user base there are not a lot of them.  One thing I like a lot is it's always completely flicker free.

Here are a couple from the Thea website.

http://www.thearender.com/cms/index.php/news/featured-artists/341-sam-howell.html

One I rendered out myself using an older thea for c4d plugin and beeple's scene.

There are so many rendering options now... it's a bit hard to keep up.

Serious C4D Contendors:

C4D Physical

VRAY

Octane

Thea 

FurryBall

Arion

Maxwell

Corona (PC only)

and

Arnold (coming, currently in Alpha)

Surely, there will be a shake-out. I doubt the market can sustain all these. It would take a very persuasive person to make me buy another renderer, outside of Arnold, which I might consider. (Own c4d 16, VRAY and Octane) But I'm open to being persuaded.

My work is mostly animation.