Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adamfilip

vray vs R16

Just ran a quick comparison on the included r16 Stairway file between Vray and C4D's renderer. I didn't change anything on the native C4D render settings, and didn't spend much time tweeking on the Vray side of things.

The main thing for me as a working arch. viz guy is clearly the speed difference.

C4D - 29 mins +/-

Vray - 10min +/-

Not trying to start a war here, and clearly there are optimisations to be made on both sides, but this agrees with most of my experiments between the two.

The C4D file is rendered in R16 (not r14 as the caption reads). The vray version is in C4D R14, vray 1.9

(The first image is the native C4D render)

post-133519-0-21817600-1410303769_thumb.

post-133519-0-56739200-1410303809_thumb.

post-133519-0-96909300-1410303879_thumb.

Just ran a quick comparison on the included r16 Stairway file between Vray and C4D's renderer. I didn't change anything on the native C4D render settings, and didn't spend much time tweeking on the Vray side of things.

The main thing for me as a working arch. viz guy is clearly the speed difference.

C4D - 29 mins +/-

Vray - 10min +/-

Not trying to start a war here, and clearly there are optimisations to be made on both sides, but this agrees with most of my experiments between the two.

The C4D file is rendered in R16 (not r14 as the caption reads). The vray version is in C4D R14, vray 1.9

(The first image is the native C4D render)

In all fairness to C4D, the render quality is far cleaner and it appears to be have a lot higher subdivision levels on things like the shadows. I think once you've tuned your V-Ray scene you could easily double that render time in order to to clean up the GI blotches and refine the shadows.

Agreed. Like I say it was just a quick comparison. I didn't bother optimising either scene. If I can be arsed I'll have a fiddle around.

The rug in the c4d version appears mottled or something...

.....GI artifacts?

Meanwhile the pillow in the VRAY version appears striated and noisy.

Still, let's give credit where credit is due:  That C4D's renderer can now compete quality-wise against Vray without requiring _vastly_ longer render times is a pretty serious improvement all by itself.  R15 & R16 have brought huge improvements to C4Ds native physical renderer, and while it might not be as performant as Vray yet, the fact that it's even in the neighborhood is quite impressive IMO.