Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ransom

How do you do Force dynamics in R14?

• Topic Author
  • Hello,

I'm trying to do a simple scene where a drinks can is shot off a wall, and I've been told to just apply a Force using dynamics. I've been searching for tutorials but they all seem to be for C4D R12. Does anyone know of a good tutorial I can watch to learn how to do this kind of thing in R14 please?

Thanks for any help!

Would you like to attach your scene file so we can have a look at what you mean?

Check the attached scene for an example.

At second 1 the sphere will be pushed at the bottom, at second 2 again at the top (Local Space).

Add Force 01.c4d

• Topic Author
  • Wow, that file was incredibly helpful. Just experimenting with the values is really giving me a better understanding of how this is done. Thanks Srek!

• Topic Author
  • I seem to have run in to a problem. If the Time is set to 150 Frames or above, it doesn't work. I even tried 149 Frames and that works just fine, but anything higher just refuses to budge! I'm doing this in my own project, which is 1500 Frames long. Would you happen to know the reason behind this? I've attached the project file so that my idiocy is plain to see :)

Thank you!

xpresso-help.zip

You did not link the can into the Dynamic Body State node.

What about knocking the can off the wall with a hidden dynamic object ? In this scene I ran the animation to settle the can on the wall, and set initial state in dynamics tag. Then give the hidden collider an initial velocity.

can.c4d

Ransom already tried that (see a different thread here). It comes with a couple of drawbacks regarding the speed of the impactor, dynamics precision etc. Adding a force is safer and more controllable

• Topic Author
  • Ransom already tried that (see a different thread here). It comes with a couple of drawbacks regarding the speed of the impactor, dynamics precision etc. Adding a force is safer and more controllable

Thanks for your help again Srek. I can see now that I hadn't dragged my can in to the Object text box. I've done it now, however the problem remains. The weird thing is that it works perfectly if the Time value is set to 149 or lower. Anything higher, nothing happens. What might be causing that?

Thanks for trying to help too, Jed.

I tried it after linking the object and it worked for me, i have no idea why it doesn't for you. Mind you, i use R16 not R13.

• Topic Author
  • Hmm. I'm on R14 and I've attached a screenshot that shows how my xpresso looks. I've even tried altering the timeline length and seeing if there's any change, but regardless, the Force only works if I set the Time value to 149 Frames or less.

Does anyone have the slightest clue why this might be happening?

Thanks!

post-151757-0-87214300-1410983351_thumb.

• Topic Author
  • I've attached the file. It really is a bizarre problem. If anyone would like to take a look, I've set the Xpresso Force to happen at the 100th Frame, and it works fine. If you go in to change the Frame value to anything above 149, it just doesn't work. I hope that someone is able to explain to me what's going on here.

Thanks!

physics-help.c4d.zip