Sign in to follow this  
Jamesstephan

Graphics Driver Error ?

Graphics card options as shown below.

Just because C4D says your card is compatible doesn't mean you won't have problems. I had the same with my old nvidia card. 5600 I recall. Said it was compatible yet it not everything worked properly. Some things I gather were done by software emulation rather than proper hardware.

post-2-0-80891100-1419209034_thumb.png

I had problems with C4D crashing with the latest Ati Catalyst driver (14. something) and reverted back to something older. Seems to have solved the crashing for now...

Pretty sure I deleted the topic as the problem is now resolved by installing the latest AMD driver.

I would suggest ditching the intel GPU and buying an nVidia graphics card.

thanks for your help, I will look into getting that

you really should by a dedicated video card. I reccomend the a geforce 780 strix or 970 strix. Or wait for the new 980's with 8gb of memory to come in january. 

having a 4790k without a dedicated graphics card is a bit of strange decision.

Well the decision is mostly monetary. Based on watching this video I found on here,

I understood it to mean that the GPU is only used when rendering, so I put most of my money on buying the fastest clock speed I could find, and average components for everything else....Based on what everyone is saying above, I will look into buying a GPU. Thanks for your help

GPU is not used when rendering at all. 

it is used only to drive the viewport. 

highest clock speed is good for viewport performance, but not the fastest solution for rendering. 

but without a decent GPU you wont get the benefits of your high clock speed. 

http://www.cbscores.com/

here you can see various combinations of cpu and gpu and results for rendering and viewport performance.

GPU is not used when rendering at all. 

it is used only to drive the viewport. 

highest clock speed is good for viewport performance, but not the fastest solution for rendering. 

but without a decent GPU you wont get the benefits of your high clock speed. 

http://www.cbscores.com/

here you can see various combinations of cpu and gpu and results for rendering and viewport performance.

Ok, good to know, which is why I didn't buy one. But what I didn't know is that the CPU's performance would be limited in the viewport performance unless it had a "great" GPU. I really don't mind waiting for my renders, viewport performance is what Im really worried about.

BUT (in caps), where I am coming from, this is a great improvement. I did a fair amount of research on Cinebench scores before I bought too:

2009 21.5 In Imac i5

CPU: 151 (yup this is not a mistype)

Open GL: 19

November 2014 PC Build i7 4790k

CPU: 869 (not overclocked)

OpenGL: 23

I have been meaning to post these the CBscores thread too ...

i have the same cpu and a gtx970 and i get 140 gpu score. 

on cb scores if you sort by cpu, you can see what kind of points people are getting with other gpu's and your cpu. 

Also the gpu will help in rendering if you get a GPU render engine like Thea or Octane. So its a double benefit =)

But in stock c4d gpu helps only with viewport. 

^^^ Oh ok those are pretty good number you have there... Anyways, I made the purchase today, GeForce GT 730 2GB DDR3. I know you suggested a better one, but this was within my budget. All the GDDR5 were out of stock on amazon, so I just got this instead, since I wanted to install on my new years day off.

Thanks for all your help, hopefully one day I can help you out with something in return...

So I bought a Asus GT 740 instead of what i posted above, and I installed tonight for the New Year. Anyway, Cinebench Open GL score improved to 76. Which isnt 140, but it sure is a good jump from my previous 23, so I am satisfied.

However, I still havent tested if this has solved the issue with the crash in Cinema 4d, I suspect it will, I will test tomorrow as its late, and the crash normally occurs randomly after using C4d. I will update the post when I see if it worked..

Thanks

Happy to report no crashes and I have been using C4d for over an hour now. Before it would crash every 5-10 minutes or so.

I have been getting this error, but I am pushing up hill with a intel hd 4000 gfx card so yeh not a good idea hehe. I am an absolute new person to C4D and 15 had no issues, I would say hold cntrl and shift when you launch it to reset it to software defaults. I am not sure if this has worked in my case. But so far so good.

Edited by Pillow