Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aneirin

neutral rendering

• Topic Author
  • I needed a bit of practice in cloth and fluid dynamics so I'm making a short animation of a ship sailing in the sea. I've modelled a basic low poly hull shape and I don't really want to spend time adding any detail or textures, can anyone suggest a good way of rendering it to show off the dynamics whilst making it clear that it isn't intended to be a finished piece? 

A plain matte grey material with some nice lighting would probably be fine but I was just wondering if anyone had any clever tricks for this kind of thing to make it a little more interesting.

thanks

Guest darby

Ambient occlusion is a common effect that's used in situations like yours. It helps place surfaces in space relative to one another.

You can use ambient occlusion at a shader level if you'd like to use different parameters for different objects.

• Topic Author
  • Good idea, but there isn't really enough detail in the model for that to have much effect. 

Just to be clear, I'm using a basic shader on the water surface and textures on the sails, I just want to put something simple on the rest of the boat so that it doesn't look terrible. I guess grey is probably the way to go really.

Guest darby

Sorry, I thought you were avoiding textures so as to reduce distraction from the dynamics.

Still, ambient occlusion can help to reinforce the connection between the hull and the water/sails.

• Topic Author
  • yeah now that i think about it maybe it is a stupid idea to only texture parts of it, I should probably just do everything in a neutral colour. 

I've only ever really worked on animation and dynamics, never really had to think much about the final presentation of the thing before :/