Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aneirin

neutral rendering

I needed a bit of practice in cloth and fluid dynamics so I'm making a short animation of a ship sailing in the sea. I've modelled a basic low poly hull shape and I don't really want to spend time adding any detail or textures, can anyone suggest a good way of rendering it to show off the dynamics whilst making it clear that it isn't intended to be a finished piece? 

A plain matte grey material with some nice lighting would probably be fine but I was just wondering if anyone had any clever tricks for this kind of thing to make it a little more interesting.

thanks

Guest darby

Ambient occlusion is a common effect that's used in situations like yours. It helps place surfaces in space relative to one another.

You can use ambient occlusion at a shader level if you'd like to use different parameters for different objects.

Good idea, but there isn't really enough detail in the model for that to have much effect. 

Just to be clear, I'm using a basic shader on the water surface and textures on the sails, I just want to put something simple on the rest of the boat so that it doesn't look terrible. I guess grey is probably the way to go really.

Guest darby

Sorry, I thought you were avoiding textures so as to reduce distraction from the dynamics.

Still, ambient occlusion can help to reinforce the connection between the hull and the water/sails.

yeah now that i think about it maybe it is a stupid idea to only texture parts of it, I should probably just do everything in a neutral colour. 

I've only ever really worked on animation and dynamics, never really had to think much about the final presentation of the thing before :/