WHAT? no R17 thread yet?

bobc4d

@HSrdelic: Maybe you can shed some light or push this agenda: Multiple material editing with reflections. I literally can't move onto r16 and i guess i'll just have to stick to r15 in the future because i can't edit reflections on multiple materials at once. ( examples with 15 different colors of plastic and client asks to make them all less reflective, and then asks to make the pink one a bit more reflective) Something that can be done in 15 seconds in R15 and more like 5 minutes in r16. how was this feature beta tested by anyone in production? It seems like an extremely common thing to do. will i ever find out if this is going to be fixed? or do i just have to hope and wait for R17?

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see a roadmap of what's coming or what's planned.

Won't happen. They don't even tell the Beta testers. Obviously I have an idea of what's coming in R17 since we're well into the development cycle but R18, your guess is as good as mine.

Let's say they come out and say they're working on XYZ for R17. Everyone gets excited. R17 comes along and Maxon says it isn't finished yet. People get disappointed and the forums are full of people complaining.

Anyway, time to go an upgrade to ZBrush R7 (for free) and check out the new toys :)

I am with HSrdelic on this. I am a professional programmer, C4D and a whole array of multimedia apps are my (very expensive) hobby. I also write C4D plugins in C++, they will be published in the near future. I have never seen any software that has such a good user interface like C4D. Not even close. And I have hardly used a piece of software that is so rock solid. Yes, I have sworn and cursed when programming plugins, because of an unusual API. But in the long run, it might be the very reason that C4D is so stable. I also had to chuckle when reading claims here about developers sitting in isolated caves, developing their proprietary part of C4D, with the danger of them leaving MAXON. The idea that MAXON would allow themselves to be in such a vulnerable situation, is - well - funny. I have worked for German companies too, and as HSrdelic says, MAXON is - well, German.

I also found that R16 to have a lot of new features, you may complain abut R15 and the lack of new features, but not R16.

I myself have only one serious issue with MAXON: They allow bugs to persist, not fixing them. Dynamics bug, camera shader bug, worked in previous versions, bug occurs, then persist in R15, R16. This is very  disappointing, just unacceptable.

-Ingvar

As fas as I know the developer of MoGraph still works for MAXON.

I have heard Paul Everett credited as the lead guy responsible for Mograph. He's been working independently on plugins (like DEM Earth) the past few years at least. That's what I've heard...no inside info.

There is some interesting speculation going on in this thread. There are a couple of things which are public knowledge but I fell I should mention them :)

- Communication with Beta testers is very good

The reason I speculated on the communication with the Beta testers not being very good is all the bugs and features that were able to get through.  Something didn't work right for Team Render to have so many bugs.  Maybe there just were not enough beta testers to get Team Render right or enough that used a network to get the bugs out.  Something went wrong.

The reason I speculated on the communication with the Beta testers not being very good is all the bugs and features that were able to get through. Something didn't work right for Team Render to have so many bugs. Maybe there just were not enough beta testers to get Team Render right or enough that used a network to get the bugs out. Something went wrong.

Unfortunately the NDA prevents me saying what I would like to say but as I've said a few posts above, communication with testers is good and as good as what it was when I did Beta Testing of modo. Luxology regarded as having great communication. That app had / has a ton of bugs so good communication while important doesn't actually sit down and do any coding.

I think the problem with TR is its not very easily tested by most Beta testers. Pretty much any other features, bar perhaps X-Refs, if a bunch of dedicated individuals test it, they'll pick up most of the problems.

But few of them have the scale of operation to test TR properly.

I'm pretty sure the Beta testers were running it with their 2-10 machines & it was holding up OK but where it starts to fall down is bigger networks, bigger numbers of jobs, really heavy scenes.

Now, I'm certainly not saying they didn't have some studios testing it but obviously not enough. I think TR is one where normal beta testers are not enough.

Did some tidy up on the thread to remove off topic posts. Apologies.

All good now, let the speculation/guesses about R17 resume.. :)

Cheers,

Brian

one thing, which is minor but bugs me, is the texture name size.  if it is more than about 7 characters it gets truncated and you can't see the full name unless you open the texture up.

Unfortunately the NDA prevents me saying what I would like to say but as I've said a few posts above, communication with testers is good and as good as what it was when I did Beta Testing of modo. Luxology regarded as having great communication. That app had / has a ton of bugs so good communication while important doesn't actually sit down and do any coding.

I get what your saying.  MAXON needs more programmers.

Archived