Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Push

What do you call yourself?

• Topic Author
  • I don't know, after all this time, what to call myself!

Are you a 3D graphics designer, CGI artist, CGI graphic artist?

Digital content artist :)

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

I vary it a lot! Generally 3D Artist, VFX Artist or TD depending on who I'm talking to : )

cheers

brasc

• Topic Author
  • Digital content artist :)

I like the sound of that :)

I hate the word 'artist' so I'm very reluctant to label myself anything that has that word in it.

Cheers

Karl

I'm with Karl on this. 'Artist' is a label others give you if they value your work. To call yourself that always seems a little arrogant and pretentious to me. Especially if you start a sentence with 'as an artist myself, I.. ' yuck!

Yes, this. In my experience, people who are a little too keen to label themselves as 'artist' are often anything but.

A lot of people who call themselves '3D artists' on the web should really  be more descriptive - ' kid who just downloaded a cracked 3d app and did a few tutorials' would be more appropriate in many cases LOL

This also covers the second half of my objection. For this and other reasons, usually pertaining to pretension, the term 'artists' is tarnished and devalued in my view. And that's not to mention all those people who are 'artists' simply as either a lifestyle choice or because they are too lazy to do a real job.

K

p.s. Quick, Brian, make one more post!

I would normally stay out of something like this, especially since many on here might consider me to fit Brian's description, but...

I completely disagree. I totally understand and respect the desire to be humble in your wording, and agree that the way people self-label themselves can be founded in delusion.

But my stomach sinks at the idea that "artist" is an inherently pretentious label, or that it really even has anything to do with skill. Someone can be technically excellent (including at a program like C4D), and not be an artist. Someone can also be an artist, and still not have yet refined their technical skills. I do think that being a good artist requires a desire to refine your skills so that you can better express yourself and (perhaps) move others.

I have spent a lot of time trying to properly discern what it means to be an artist... obviously it is very elusive, but the best way I've come up with to describe it succinctly so far is this:

Art is the exploration of the mystery of human emotion, given life through relationship.

So, as an artist, you seek to understand what makes people feel certain things and why. You have an experience of life that you want to distill in the best way possible, whether for yourself or to communicate it to others.

Sorry for the tirade. Feel free to commence blasting it apart. ;)

Guest dataflow

i hate when people call them self artist that have nothing to do with art.

like a person that makes sandwiches in a shop call them self "Sandwich Artist" just so there job description looks better

I call myself Steve in a formal environment, and Tex in an informal environment. That's all the labels I need.

Ouch, I feel like that's directed at me since I use it in a couple of instances in my reply.

I was given one title in a job so it stuck and the other I just felt described what I was up to.

I didn't realise there was the idea that it's pretentious, I'll probably change the way I go about things if that's how its perceived.

cheers

brasc

Honestly, it hadn't even occurred to me before this thread, so it's a rapid education on the matter. I can definitely see the argument, I rarely have to tell people what I do, I usually just show them.

just saw it as a cool label to attract girls

Busted, this is why I got into 3D! ; )

cheers

brasc

I look at the work of say Tracey Emin or Damien Hirst and the word 'artist' is definitely not the first one to come to mind

They're business men/women, not artists.

K